Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to a range with a P700TWS and a bushmaster varminter and quite often ended up with a doubletap on the varminter. Is this a common issue? Any ideas on how to avoid it, apart from loading 1 round at a time?

thx

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
stop being a farking pansy and sholder into it and it wont happen.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Nice polite reply there spade.

How will pulling the weapon into his shoulder tighter solve the issue exactly? He is obviosuly holding it firm enough for the bolt carrier to recoil back far enough.
I would expect more likely he has gunk in his bolt, and the fireing pin is slam fireing the second round.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My assumption is that when the rifle bounces back it moves enough to engage the trigger sear again and when it comes back foward he's slapping the trigger again. Happened to me when I swapped triggers once or twice. Until i stopped being a farking pansy and sholdered into it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
:p

Concentrate on your follow through, be sure to seat the trigger until it stops moving rearward. Be sure not to jerk the trigger though. You'll start slinging em to the right by doing that.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Hmm, I don't really see how that happenes, but maybe it only happenes to special people. :p

If that is so, try forgetting about accuracy for a few rounds, and just concentrate on holding the trigger all the way back, only releasing it after the shot.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
It's the exact same as what I told you about bump firing the SKS, Yim. The recoil is disengaging the trigger sear and he is keeping a foreward pull on the weapon.

Either that or his firing pin is locked foreward but it can't be that because it would probably run off the whole dang magazine

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've a feeling it's how I'm pulling the trigger. I'll try pulling it all the way back, although this is not what I'm used to. I normally pull it just back far enough so that when the round goes off, I'm done moving anything else. Obviously I ca get away with it using a bolt action. If that doesn't solve it, I'll check out the FCG workings. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Let me ask a question - Some of the Bushy rifles come with their nifty little adjustable two stage triggers. If so, "I am guessing here", it is the problem. It has two set screws on the saftey that adjust the pull weight on the first stage and the second stage. They are little tiny set screws and are a pain to adjust correctly. If you have one I bet it is the problem. There should not be much/any recoil on a 24" 223.

Trigger pull weight?
Type of trigger?
New rifle or used?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If it is the FCG, check the disconnector and the disconnector spring. If you install the disconnector spring upside down, it can lead to doubling.

The large end of the spring must point down.

To see what these parts look like, go over to ar15.com and check out the build it yourself forum. There is a tacked thread that explains how to assemble the AR-15 lower receiver. You will find pictures of the disconnector and disconnector spring there.

Mad

·
Registered
140 Posts
Clean the firing pin and the firing pin hole. You might want to buy a firing pin protrusion guage and check that out as well. If it is protruding more than MAX on the guage then send it to Bushmaster with the info.

American Rifleman

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can not see them fining you for bump firing. I can take ANY semiautomatic rifle and shoot it damn near full auto. Here in good ol' indiana everyone does it. Sometimes you just have to tear stuff up and there is no better way than to dump 30rds out of your AK in 2 seconds. get blnks and a BFA and try that and see what is going on. SD

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it out again this weekend and shouldered into it a lot more and that seemed to cure it.

The trigger is stock btw.

Thanks for the techie responses too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It might have just been short stroking the sear. ( Not pushing the hammer back far enough to fully engage the sear because the buffer spring is to stiff and not broken in yet ). This happens some times with AR-15's.

The Rifleman

1 - 17 of 17 Posts