Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
I have one on my 3 gun AR in 5.56. I like it a lot for what I use it for. It's a true 1x at the lowest setting, and is very clear. At 6x the glass is still very clear. It is my most used rifle, and the scope is on a QD mount. When testing some of my other rifles like my recent 300BLK build, I sometimes use this scope to test it for accuracy.

The one reason I kind of don't like it, is that when I use it for testing accuracy, the center dot is kind of large. I wish it was a little bit smaller just for that reason only, but I don't think this scope was designed for shooting tight groups. For 3 gun, or anything larger than say golf ball at 100 yards, it works great. I was getting groups under 2" with my 300BLK and around 1" with my 5.56 at 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts

Here's the way it is. First you design the perfect scope. Glass that gives absolutely clear vision. Mechanical "innards" that return the crosshairs to zero every time and track as adjustments are made without error. Make a scope that the reticle doesn't move from the point of aim as you change the magnification. Give the customer a scope with easy to adjust parrallax correction, good firm "clicks" when turning the turrets. Give the scope a nice large tube that's strong enough it doesn't flex but doesn't weigh too much. Now you have that perfect scope.

Off the "numbers" go to the "bean counters" and their first response is "it costs too much".

Now the designers start taking out some of the "perfection" they built in. Eventually they take enough out that you merely have a scope that "magnifies" but has all the issues they originally designed out.

You have to ask yourself how much "Quality" a manufacturer can put into a scope that they are going to sell for ~$250 and still leave some profit for manufacture, distribution, sales, and most importantly -- Warranty.

That's just my opinion but I think it's shared by a large number of shooters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What deadshot2 says makes perfect sense, and I agree completely that "you get what you pay for"....

But, I must say, I bought PA 1-6x30 ACSS and mounted it in a LaRue LT104 QD, on a 16" M4. Basically as a 3 gun type rifle for a casual run & gun carbine match my Club runs. The match is a little rough on equipment, and there are the final shots on the last stage which are at 200 (10" plate) and then 300 (10" plate again). I was running a 2MOA Aimpoint and lacking time/accuracy on the 300yd target. So I figured what the heck, the PA scope is only 265.00 and a few buddies just rave about them. Ya know, if it gets beat up it was only a 265.00 scope.

Well, I gotta tell you, the scope rocks. The reticle layout is easy to interpret quickly, and at a 100yd zero the graduations are accurate out to 400 (max distance I have access to). I've shot this scope for just under 2 years and haven't babied it. My sons like to take their girlfriends on dates to the range and this M4 is a favorite to take with them. One of the girls knocked the rifle off the bench onto the concrete flooring and it still holds zero.

I'd say if the scope fits your shooting application needs, and you like the reticle layout, then absolutely give it a try. For the money you just can't beat it.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
My sons like to take their girlfriends on dates to the range and this M4 is a favorite to take with them. One of the girls knocked the rifle off the bench onto the concrete flooring and it still holds zero.
Some prefer a scope that will stand up to just a little more than a drop on the concrete floor.

This scope still worked fine although it was turned into a "Fixed Magification" scope by the bullet. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update on this one: I have had this scope for about an year now. It is good to go, and has been run on a Remington 700 308Win, 5.56 AR, and now my go to on a 300BLK AR with 16" barrel. I had never used it at anything longer than 200 yards. But a few weeks back I was shooting some groups at 100 yards to check some reloads on the 300BLK. When we finished up we turned the target stands and moved back to the end of the field to give a try at 400 yards. I put a 4x6" card on a USPSA shiloet target and as the bullets were moving a little slower that the recital tic marks are set for I went with about a quarter more that the 400 yard mark and let the first one go. It hit the card about dead center. of the five shot 3 were on the card and two were blown off to the left about 1/2 inch by the wind. The more I shoot it the more I like this Scope. I do not see how you can beat it for a 6 power scope you can use as a red dot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the 1x6 with the 300 blackout/7.62x39 reticle mounted on an ak47 . I like it alot . the bdc is right on out to 300 yds which about as far as I have to shoot on my property I put up a target at 300 yds and fired a 10 shot group if you can call it that I jerked the trigger a couple of times and pulled the shots there are 10 in the target on is down in the white near what I would call the brisket .
certainly not a group Im proud of nor precision shooting but I cant blame anything except myself . for the record I was using monarch 123 grain steel case ammo .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.