Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some preliminary measuring on a brand new Rem model seven in 22-250 Rem. The "industry standard" OAL for 22-250 Rem using Nosler 52gr HPBT Custom Competition bullets is 2.350". So I insert my Hornady L-N-L OAL gauge with the 22-250 Rem fire formed modified case into the chamber, an 1/8" wooden dowel into the barrel and begin the measuring procedure. With a little "back and forth" I find the "sweet spot" of the lands and extract my gauge and measure with a digital mic. The display says 2.460"!? WTF? So I try numerous times and get the same every time. Seeing as the modified case is fire formed I thought maybe I'm not getting it seated into the chamber all the way (with the gauge) so I proceed to actually chamber the case using the bolt and locking it into the firing position to be certain it is seating all the way with the gauge. It chambers and bolt locks without a hitch.

If 2.460" is my chamber OAL, then I should seat bullets to 2.450" to be .010" off the lands, right? If so, the bullet (.720" in length) will only be in the case .165"? Thats not very far!

Does it seem odd that the diffrence between the "industry standard" OAL and my total chamber OAL is .100"? That seems like a ton!

Any advice or correction in my procedure would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I've had Remingtons with long freebore as well. Your proceedure is more than likely correct. Some rifles, like Sako and Weatherby have longer freebore. You can't always put your ogive into the lands.

Jeff

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff!

I'm a little concerned about what the .100" jump will do to accuracy. Would it make sense to load .030"-.050" longer than standard to decrease the jump distance by as much?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I think that some bullets are more sensitive than others to the 'jump'. Bergers like to be into the lands, due to the shape of their bullets. Sierra Match Kings work pretty well in my AR 15 long range rifle. The magazine prevents me from loading bullets long, unless I want to single load.

Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a similar problem, I tried chambering a lightly neck sized case with a bullet just seated, which I think does pretty much the same thing as at OAL tool. Anyway, mine is a .308 and the max COAL is usually 2.800, but my cartridge came out with the bullet well over 2.900, if I seated a few thou shorter than that, the rounds wouldn't fit in the mag. The rifle is a Remington 700, so maybe this is a common problem with factory rifles?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you are going to be ok. I seat my .308 rounds to 2.931" which is .010" off the lands. I used a RCBS Precision Mic to get my measurements.

Looks like you are getting a consistent measurement, so I would say you are doing it correctly! Probably the reason you have so much free bore is that a lawyer got a hold of your gun to make it "safe" for you... :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW!! Thats .131" longer than standard OAL! So I guess that answers my question about loading significantly longer OAL than standard. Do they fit in the magazine and chamber from the mag ok?

Still waiting for my modified case to come in for my Rem 700 SPS varmint .308. I would assume I'm going to see the same long throat in that also.

I appreciate all the info from everyone. Feeling reassured that I can load longer for the longer throat and still expect to maintain good accuracy.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing some preliminary measuring on a brand new Rem model seven in 22-250 Rem. The "industry standard" OAL for 22-250 Rem using Nosler 52gr HPBT Custom Competition bullets is 2.350". So I insert my Hornady L-N-L OAL gauge with the 22-250 Rem fire formed modified case into the chamber, an 1/8" wooden dowel into the barrel and begin the measuring procedure. With a little "back and forth" I find the "sweet spot" of the lands and extract my gauge and measure with a digital mic. The display says 2.460"!? WTF? So I try numerous times and get the same every time. Seeing as the modified case is fire formed I thought maybe I'm not getting it seated into the chamber all the way (with the gauge) so I proceed to actually chamber the case using the bolt and locking it into the firing position to be certain it is seating all the way with the gauge. It chambers and bolt locks without a hitch.

If 2.460" is my chamber OAL, then I should seat bullets to 2.450" to be .010" off the lands, right? If so, the bullet (.720" in length) will only be in the case .165"? Thats not very far!

Does it seem odd that the diffrence between the "industry standard" OAL and my total chamber OAL is .100"? That seems like a ton!

Any advice or correction in my procedure would be greatly appreciated!
you have a typical remington LONG THROAT........short engagement with cartrige case is ok....just dont bang them around...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I had a 700P Remmy in 308 and I got right at just a hair under .5 moa out of that shooter loading the rounds long using 175SMK's which as previously mentioned are pretty good at dealing with jump. Well single loading got old quick and I pushed the pills in just so that they barely cleared the mag. I ended up giving away about .15-.2 moa for my troubles but I still was able to get the job done until I re- barreled that action with a 6.5CM. Needless to say the throat on the new barrel as a lot tighter. I'd suggest that you load them as long as you can and still fit in the mag and see what the paper tells you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts