Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with one of the Bushnell 10 X 40 3200 Elite Mill Dot scopes on a magnum caliber rifle? I currently have one mounted on a 300wm 110fp Savage that seams to have suddenly lost the ability to hold a zero. Has anybody else seen similar results or do I just have a dud?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The one that I mounted on the original SC1 prototype has held up fine for the past 3 years. Its a 300 Win Mag.

MEL

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember that the original SC1 had the same scope, and Mel’s review was positive enough that I got one my self. It has been atop two different rifles without incident since Christmas. Both shot perfectly with the Bushnell. The trouble started when I charged from a 1-piece mount to a 2-piece mount. With the previous setup I was getting pretty consistent .6 to 1 inch groups. I used my bore sighter to set an initial zero and head to the range. I set up three 8 ½ X 11 targets up side by side at 100 yards. The targets that I use are a simple 1 inch dot in the middle of the page surrounded by a grid pattern that is 1 inch squares. So I take aim at the first target on the far right. The first shot impacted on the far left hand side of the target in the middle, over 11 inches from the point of aim and about 4 inches high. Weird, second round lands very close to the first. I dial in the adjustments, and shoot again. For the next 10 rounds I can’t hit the center. They all come close, but seam to be hitting in a random pattern. Some were high, some low, and both the right and left side of the dot took their fair share. The over all size of the group was around 3 inches. Previous to changing the mount the last session at the range the groups had been opening up some but I thought that I was just getting tired. After the random shooting pattern I re checked things with the bore sighter and sure enough is shows the point of impact to be way off to the left. When I got home I tried the bore sighter in two other scoped rifles I have and they line up perfectly with the center of the grid. So now I am confused and frustrated. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Check ALL your screws, dude. The ones that secure the bases to the rifle, the ones that secure the mounts to the bases if there are any, and the ones that hold the scope in the mounts.

A change of zero is to be expected when using new mounts, and that shift to the left with the boresighter seems normal. The erratic groups are from looseness somewhere, I figure.

Mine has held up for two years, and I have been pretty mean to it.

That happened when I was dumb enough to try shooting the first SC1 postal match in -34. Pretty much any condensation froze on the rifle immediately on firing. The scope had frosted over, I couldn't feel or hear the clicks anymore, and turning the knobs felt very sluggish. I thought she was done for. After it thawed, everything was back to normal and it was still waterproof. Groups were very erratic and my adjustments weren't making sense anymore. I thought I killed the scope, but it turned out to be only loose screws. The ones on the bases that you cannot see.

Those scopes are tough!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking on the screws Muzz, but they were one of the first things I checked and they were all tight. I have pulled off the scope and mounts to recheck everything. Hopefully I can get some time on the weekend to try it out again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK well I have solved the problem by getting a good deal on a new Leupold VX II in 4 X 12 X 40. After in installing and sighting in I promptly went back to sub-moa groups. The best one measures just over .3 of an inch. Bushnell said to send the scope off the authorized repair center and they will check it out. I will post the results here when I know. In the mean time I am kicking my self for not getting a Leupold sooner! All I can say is Dang!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, there is some truth to that. Cannot argue with leupold's warranty either (at least on the VX-2 and better stuff).

If you get the bushnell back and never want to see it again, send it my way, I'm sure we could put it to use on the mule rifle....

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hey if you dont want the bushnell PM me as well, I might be interested.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was fast, where did all those vultures come from? Seriously, if it comes back and is ok I plan on using it on something else. Up until the strange behavior I was quit pleased with it. As nice as the VX II is I do miss the target knobs… Mel you may end up seeing it after all as I was planning on using it to start out with on my little toy you are building

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Excellent!!! That would be fine!!

Yeah, I'm a gun parts vulture.... :D

Those that are interested and cannot get them elsewhere, I'll sell these scopes at $180 plus some shipping (probably about $10)

MEL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yesterday I got a trouble with my Elite 3200 10x40 Mildot I bought in may 2002...It was used on my Win 70 LAREDO caliber .300Win Mag. and it endured more than 500 rounds in this caliber.
The elevation adjustment knob got anomally hard to turn, and like for Muzzleblast I couldn't hear the clics anymore, so when I turned it strongly in the direction indicated by the "UP" arrow...the knob just got unscrewed... the knob just got off...

I have another Elite 3200 10x40 Mildot I bought last year to put on my new Tikka T3 Varmint .300Win Mag., so I hope this one will endure .300Win Mag. caliber without troubles. (in fact I put it on my .300Win Mag Win 70 LAREDO rifle)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts