Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm a complete noob to reloading but have been researching it for a while. I am looking to start reloading for my sps tac .308. Some people have recomended I get a porgressive press. In particular, the Dillon 550B. However, I have always heard one should have a single stage press for "precision" ammo. If this is the case, I was going to go with the RCBS Rockchucher kit from Cabelas.

What would you recomend? Progressive or Single Stage??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get a single stage. There is just too much going on at once with a progressive for someone starting out. Don't worry about making precision loads at first, concentrate on making loads that are safe and basic.

Don't blow your hands off, and don't rush into reloading. That leads to mistakes. Costly mistakes.

Erik

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also recomended a turret press which I was told would speed things up a bit while still maintaining a good degree of precision. Definatley lots of choices to make.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 550b is a great press. I have a 550b I use for everything and a 650 that gets barely used. That being said, Starting out with the single stage is cheaper and going slow and learning the significance of each process is important. I started with a rockchucker and am glad I did however the idea of using one for pistol ammo now days sounds like a extreme waist of time comparatively. For rifle or "precision" ammo the 550b will do every thing a single stage will and four single stages at a time if you want it to and can pay attention to four at once (thats the trick) but you will probably end up with a single stage anyway if you get hooked. I would recommend the single stage first in either case especially if your only doing one caliber. In a caliber like 308 take the time to make sure you love reloading before you invest to much as it is time and space consuming. It can at times be tedious. Good luck, BE SAFE and ALWAYS ERROR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION when in doubt pull the bullet and start over.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just ordered the Lee turret press kit. I have a bit of experience on a single stage RCBS rock chucker, that works great. I just wanted to make it a little easier to change out between calibers with all the die changes. Plus, I had to have something a bit different than the old man.

If I remember, I will let you know how things go, should have it this wednesday.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
BigBoy_30-378 said:
I have always loaded single stage.
I have always loaded single stage; I have never had to wonder if my turret was affecting the runout of my rounds. Plain and simple.

Dillon makes a great progressive, and I know some Highpower guys who use one to load all their rounds for 300 yards and under. Most still load long line loads on a single stage... Take something from that. :wink:

-Nate

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a hornady Lock N load AP.

its very nice since we reload pistol ammo, and can crank out 300ish an hour at a confortable speed measuring powder every so often.

For 308 a progressive is sometimes a pain, I basically load them in single stage on my progressive press... If I were to buy a single stage I'd go w/ the hornady single stage since it has the die bushings so you can quickly change dies, that way you don't have the pain of readjusting them every time. If you plan to get into pistol or bulk ammo production, you can also look into a turret like the lee classic turret, its kinda of like a progressive but you make one shell at a time instead of 5. I'd get a reloading manual, I'd get a non bullet brand type, like the Lymans 49th... this will give you a variety of recipes but most important at the beginning it gives you a run through about how to reload metallic catridges.. whichever book you go w/, get one, its a good place to start.

MIke.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A progressive can be daunting at first ... but if you're loading a bunch, it saves a TON of time. I haven't used it a lot with rifle ammo, but with the pistol ammo, there's no comparison.

As for progressive brands -- Dillon rules. I like Lee's other stuff and have a single-stage by them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts