Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that are familiar with parkerizing, can you please describe, or better yet, provide a picture of what proper military parkerizing should look like, specifically the color. I've heard its suppose to have a green tint, but I've never seen it....

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mel,

Here is a couple of close shots of my M1 Garand with parkarizind finish. I have never seen a green tint. Also the photo's are not the best. I was told just use a certin acid to get parkarizing. They guy that told me is a friend of mine that is a gunsmith and used to parkarize guns.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The green tint is not really the color of parkerizing.

The green results from a chemical reaction that takes place when parkerized metal reacts with cosmoline.

Green parkerized weapons are those that were placed in storage for some time and coated with cosmoline.

There are two main types of parkerizing:

Zinc phosphate and manganese phosphate. One kind results in a grey finish and the other results in a black finish.

If you are looking to parkerize at home, it is easy to do. You can buy the chemicals from Brownells. The process involves dipping the gun or parts into a chemical bath that contains phosphoric acid. The metal is cleaned and degreased and dunked into the hot solution. The temperature of the solution is about 190 degrees F or so. And you need to contain the solution within a stainless steel vessel.

You can parkerize in your garage using an old camping stove. But if you parkerize a barrel, make sure to plug the bore and chamber. Use little rubber stoppers. Parkerizing will etch the bore thereby causing you to weep.

Then the part is rinsed with distilled water and dunked in motor oil. For some reason, used motor oil works best.

To duplicate the green color, you should perhaps dunk the parts into cosmoline or some other grease, as soon as they are taken out of the parkerizing tank.

And correct military parkerizing is grey or black. If you can find a Bushmaster rifle in your area, take a look at the barrel. That is a correct military type parkerizing.

There was a guy over at ar15.com who came up with a home formula for parkerizing. Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=236340

Mad

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I can get you a pic of some 80's era Colt or some Bushmaster purple...........thats all I have.

And I had ran across the post on arf.com and will try to use it sometime, good info!

edit:

SO MEL.......O friend, O budy, O pal...........what are you worling on?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The Bushmaster purple was purple anodizing.

Not parkerizing. You cannot parkerize aluminium.

Anyway, look at a Colt AR-15 and the barrel will be parkerized. In fact all M-16 barrels are parkerized. (I shouldn't say all. If we look hard enough, we will find a painted one.)

Mad.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not parkerizing. You cannot parkerize aluminium.
true! I stand corrected (and I know better :roll: )

When I thought BM I thought purple :D

If you need a pic of the colt barrel let me know, I am moving this weekend so it may take a little while to get the pic.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the information and the pictures. I have a Stagarms STAG-15L left handed AR-15 here, so I suppose I could just look at that.

caver101 said:
Oh..... nothing.... :wink:

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Stagarms STAG-15L left handed AR-15 here
Are you wrong handed?

OH....YOU CAN TELL US, WE WILL NOT TELL A SOUL :D

EDIT:
I got the chance to see one of the stag L's at the range a few weeks ago, NICE rifle with very good fit and finish!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
mele said:
caver101 said:
Oh..... nothing.... :wink:

MEL
You are a horrible liar......

:D

Im almost willing to bet its for a pre-finish treatment on one of the SC's :)

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I am not left handed. Its for a customer. There are no stag dealers here in missoula, so I became one and ordered it up for him

12twist said:
You are a horrible liar......

:D

Im almost willing to bet its for a pre-finish treatment on one of the SC's :)
Nope, thats not is..... :D

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I parkerize a lot of items for folks. You can vary the color of park from grey to black, by the length of time its in the parkerizing solution. Parkerizing is not hard, but getting consistent results takes practice. I have achieved the green color a couple times but it is very hard to get. I rubbed the itme down repeatedly with cosmo. it kind of greened up but no where near the color of my Dane Garand receiver. I have parked many things, and would suggest it for a good matte finish, but make sure to oil it well, that is how it was meant to be used. Here is a pic of a M14 receiver(my dept issue one) that shows good military park color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts