Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking around at different AR-15 bbls and noticed that several companys are making a 26" target bbl. Say I was just going to punch paper with it what are the advantages to the 26" over the 24"?? How many FPS do you gain? anything else?

I know it is longer :roll: , but just to shoot off the bench or bipod length is not a problem (or is it?).

thanks all!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The extra length with a .223 will only get about 25 fps. (give or take). But thats about it.... I personally like the 20" barrels on the match .223 rifles... but thats my opinion. I figure if you are going to have a big long rifle, it might as well be in .308 :D

MEL

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont know too much about semi-autos. But my bolt action sako .223 has a 60cm (23 5/8inch) barrel. Which seems to provide sufficient accuracy and velocity. Horses for courses really.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With a .223... 24" is almost "over kill". 26 inchs... is ... well... not needed. all my match grade AR-15's have 20 inch barrels with the exception of one... it has a 26 inch barrel... and the 26 inch barrel is no more accurate than the 20 inch barrels.

BC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I don't really see how length could ever be a problem, unless you are intent on crawling in and out of tanks or somesuch. If you are just going to be driving it to the range, I don't see why weight should be a problem either, so you might as well go for a heavy 26 inch barrel, and get the most out of the rifle you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts