Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my shooting experience has revolved around a few years of hunting. The area I started out hunting would only allow shotguns. Recently, I moved to an area where I could use rifles and the assortment of game is much larger, so I bought a Browning A-Bolt .300 WM with a 4-12x50 Swarovski scope because I wanted a gun I could hunt some big game with and a scope with quality optics that would work in a long range environment. So far I really enjoy the gun, but I wanted to go with something smaller for deer. As I get more experience shooting, I would like to possibly get into competitive shooting.

So I'm in the market for a new gun, or I will be when I get back from a deployment at the end of the year. In the area I hunt I don't think I've made a shot under 350 yards, and some of them can get extremely far away. I need a gun that won't weigh me down too much, has competition level accuracy, and can take a beating.

I'd like to stay under 2,000 for the completed gun, but if I have to go to 2500 for a quality gun and scope I will. I'm pretty much determined to get a .308, and I have a few options I've looked at already.

1---Rem 700P TWS which impactguns.com lists for $1,885 (this is my ideal pricing range, but like I said I want to shoot for quality)

2---Armalite's AR-30, which armalite lists for $1,460 (from what I've read here some don't think that armalite puts out much for quality so I'm having doubts here)

3---I really like the idea of a custom gun like the SC guns. They're nearing my budget ceiling, but I want the best quality for my money.

Any ideas on any other guns out there would be appreciated as well. I'm pretty new to scopes, so I really don't know where I want to go with that. If anyone can fill me in and give me a place to start, that'd be cool too.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
SC3 1450 dollars. Base model with win. marksman stock.
Leupold rings and bases, 80 bucks cheap set.
Weaver tactical = around 400.
Harris bipod 70 dollars.

Comes in at right around 2k

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree with Spade - start with one of the SC rifles as your platform. then the base, rings and glass are up to you.

JeffVN

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think spade has a good point, but i give you a slightly cheaper option. You could look into the same package that spade has advised and substitute a Mueller Tactical scope for the Weaver. The Mueller runs for $220 and Mel has done a review on it. Im a broke college kid that cries himself to sleep at night thinking of the SC3 he cant afford, :cry: so i guess i look for really cheap ways to do everything.
Chris

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a plan to build a top-notch rig for a reasonable amount (read "cheap").

Hart will square your receiver, lap your lugs, and install one of their match quality heavy barrels and an ownwer supplied Berger recoil lug for only $550.00. I then just need to find an action (or a low mileage M700 rifle), and a HS Precision M24 stock. Hart will also thread larger 8-40 scope base mounting holes for me at a low cost. I'll then bake-on some Norrell flat black Moly-Resin and...viola...world class rifle!

(I'm moving to a 20 acre mini-ranch in Washington state in a few months and I can't take an NFA weapon with me, so I figure I'll be coming into some "new gun" money soon and have been thinking of new gun options. I'm finding to tough to actually put it up for sale though! :cry: )

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Crazdgunman said:
(I'm moving to a 20 acre mini-ranch in Washington state in a few months and I can't take an NFA weapon with me, so I figure I'll be coming into some "new gun" money soon and have been thinking of new gun options. I'm finding to tough to actually put it up for sale though! :cry: )
uh.............you said NFA!! What do you have for sale?????????????????

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
whats the purpose you want it for?

The only advantage that 30mm gives over 1 in is the amount of adjustments you have. If your not going to shoot 1000 billion meters, then you dont really need it. But with the right 1 inch scope you should be fine out to 7-800 and even farther.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The 30mm tubes also allow more light to pass through and also increase field of view. (I believe)

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, i'll agree with you on the light. I thought that the objective was the main factor in determining FOV. I apologize if im wrong though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
caver101 said:
Nothin' fancy...just a SWD M11/9 with sten magazine conversion, side cocking upper w/ weaver rail and electric dot site, Cobray two-stage M-10 suppessor w/ wipeless conversion..and a bunch of accessories.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Crazdgunman said:
caver101 said:
Nothin' fancy...just a SWD M11/9 with sten magazine conversion, side cocking upper w/ weaver rail and electric dot site, Cobray two-stage M-10 suppessor w/ wipeless conversion..and a bunch of accessories.
What price?

and to stay on topic:
And yes I believe that a 30mm tube will let in more light.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, I checked into the FOV issue. 30mm vs. 1" is no different, so then I checked 50mm vs 40mm objectives, and there was no different there either. These were all leupold scopes.

Oh well. Sorry if I mislead anyone. But I do know 30mm tubes transmit more light.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
mele said:
Okay, I checked into the FOV issue. 30mm vs. 1" is no different, so then I checked 50mm vs 40mm objectives, and there was no different there either. These were all leupold scopes.

Oh well. Sorry if I mislead anyone. But I do know 30mm tubes transmit more light.

MEL

thanks for checking that mel, i'm glad we got it cleared up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the purpose of getting a 30mm scope over a 1" scope would be primarily for more precise adjustments at long distances and secondarily for low light scenarios?

It's probably not necessary at all for hunting then, and just a small benefit in long range competition shooting.

Sorry, to get into optics in the rifle forum.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
no problem bud, we sort of jump around all over.

Its not that the adjustments are more precise, just that there are more of them. lol

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
you could always get a 700 adl synthetic ..308 an after adjusting the trigger and getting a different stock and barrel you could defineately get it to shoot under a inch. i can with my brand new 700adl no mods or nothin. just a nice nikon scope and a harris bipod in .308 and it shoots great. but i dont really like the stock so that'd be the first thing i'd change. hope you find this helpful.

~dom~

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
someone get this man an SC2!! :D

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
you could always get a 700 adl synthetic ..308 an after adjusting the trigger and getting a different stock and barrel you could defineately get it to shoot under a inch. i can with my brand new 700adl no mods or nothin. just a nice nikon scope and a harris bipod in .308 and it shoots great. but i dont really like the stock so that'd be the first thing i'd change. hope you find this helpful.

~dom~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts