Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey mel, i dident know what section to put this in so well here it is i was looking a the ( H-S Percision Pro-Series 2000 HTR ) how good of a rifle is it? and in a issue os S.W.A.T december 2004 the were giving away one with a leupold mark 4 3.5-10x40mm lr/t m1 scope and a harris bi pod, and my question is all that worth retail $4,500$ thats what they said it retailed at,
thanks for any help
ALex
P.S where can i find some more info about your rifles, like stock types, ect.. prices and all that fun stuff, and is there a way you could make a rifle like the lima 51 from tac-ops? thanks
ALex

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Alex,

The first place to start is at the sniper central main page

http://www.snipercentral.com

For specifics about the HS HTR 2000, read my review on it:

http://www.snipercentral.com/pro2000.htm
That price sounds about right for the retail price, of course, no one ever buys at full retail, but thats beyond the point :D

For details on the rifles I build:

http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifles.htm

In terms of the lima-51, I can build a rifle using the same stock (McMillan A4) and my own features, but it will not be a lima. Tac-ops does a lot more with their rifles than I do with mine (we are targeting different markets).

Let me know if you have other quesitons.

MEL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok, what would be diffrent between the lima, and yours?, and i relized after i posted that you had a review already
and witht the rifle, bi pod and scope is that a good set up?
thanks for the help
ALex

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, there are a number of differences between our SC rifles and Tac-Ops rifles. Tac-ops uses green-T for their finish work, we are switching to powder-coating, tac-ops completely blueprints their actions in every dimension, we square action faces, bolt faces, lap lugs, and square the threads. Tac-ops hand finishes their McMillans stocks with a custom texturing (the black part ) and paint, we use the McMillan factory finish, Tac-ops uses their own barrels and kreiger, we use Montana Rifleman. And there are some other differences mixed in also.... Tac-Ops attention to detail is second to none, and because of that they charge more to cover their hours into the rifles. We are focusing on the lower price spectrum and as a result we are unable to spend as much time on the details of the rifles. Of course, they guarantee .25 MOA, we do .5 MOA. I love tac-ops rifles, heck, I own one. They are amazing. I love our SC rifles also, they are a good field gun. Just depends on what you are looking for.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The HS Precision rifles are nice, but they are a more mass produced rifle when compared to the hand finished quality of the Tac-Ops rifles. Everything done on the tac-ops rifles is just done to a higher standard of fit and finish. Of course, they carry the .25 MOA guarantee that HS Precision does not.

I do not like to compare other rifles to mine, as there is no way to not appear biased. So I'll have to leave that comparison to someone else, though you can look at the components between the SC rifles and HS rifles, they are somewhat different. Just depends on what you are looking for

MEL

·
Registered
55 Posts
mele said:
Well, there are a number of differences between our SC rifles and Tac-Ops rifles. Tac-ops uses green-T for their finish work, we are switching to powder-coating, tac-ops completely blueprints their actions in every dimension, we square action faces, bolt faces, lap lugs, and square the threads. Tac-ops hand finishes their McMillans stocks with a custom texturing (the black part ) and paint, we use the McMillan factory finish, Tac-ops uses their own barrels and kreiger, we use Montana Rifleman. And there are some other differences mixed in also.... Tac-Ops attention to detail is second to none, and because of that they charge more to cover their hours into the rifles. We are focusing on the lower price spectrum and as a result we are unable to spend as much time on the details of the rifles. Of course, they guarantee .25 MOA, we do .5 MOA. I love tac-ops rifles, heck, I own one. They are amazing. I love our SC rifles also, they are a good field gun. Just depends on what you are looking for.

MEL
I have a question about terms Mel... the gunsmith at Magnum told me that the action is blueprinted on my gun and all kinds of stuff is lapped and squared... I shook my head like I knew what he meant - but I have no idea :) I assume it means all the tolerances are tight, but what else?

Gene

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I decent accuracy job on an action consists of (this is what I do):

Squaring the face of the action
Squaring the threads (where the barrel threads into)
Lapping the lugs
Lapping the face of the bolt.

All these things do is help take out manufacturer slop and square things up a bit more thereby helping with accuracy.

Some people go way beyond this (tac-ops for one) and will square the fronts of the action lugs before lapping, and many other things. It just becomes a matter of how much man hours one is willing to pay for.

MEL

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

genen said:
the gunsmith at Magnum told me that the action is blueprinted on my gun and all kinds of stuff is lapped and squared... I shook my head like I knew what he meant - but I have no idea :)
My firendly advice is to never do stuff like that. Better to ask questions then nod and possible end up with something you don't want.

There is a big difference between un-edjucated and dumb and most people in the gun industry are not quick to judge so ask questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts