Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any manufacturer other than SIG that produces straight-pull repeater actions for calibers bigger than .22 LR?

I've gotten some ideas for a conceptual military scout rifle system, with my primary influence coming from the Anschutz biathlon rifles, though I'd want to find a somewhat lighter stock.

The problem with the Anschutz actions is that they are built and come prebarreled for .22 LR, while I want it in 7.62x51 or 5.56x45 to remain within the military concept. The Anschutz action allows far more rapid follow-up shots/engagement of new targets than a normal bolt-action, with less hand-motions needed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You might want to build a rifle around the Swiss K-31 action. This is an absolutely wonderful old military rifle. I thought that the Swedish Mauser and the Finnish Moisin-Nagant were the most accurate military rifles around, that is until I fired a Swiss K-31.

I don't know if the K31 is adaptable to the 7.62x51mm round, but you could use the original 7.5x55 Swiss.

Brownells sells a scope mount for the K31 too. You are an evil man, putting the idea of straight pull rifles into my mind. Now I am drooling all over the keyboard thinking about getting a K31.

Isn't there another straight pull made by Blaser? Or is that the gun imported by SIG?

Mad.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, I'd forgotten about Lynx actions... I've even tried a rifle using the Lynx action.

It's a wonderful action. And it takes magazines. Now I just have to work on the rest of the concept.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I was going to mention that one(Lynx)too, you guys beat me to all my thoughts, the K31, the Blaser LRS etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Of course you could go with a straight pull Cobb 50 bmg. It is only about 30 pounds, no problem to to lug that around!

John

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the stock, my vision is an aluminium stock, and a light shock-absorbing foam injected into the hollow spaces, to reduce noise when you(inevitably) end up banging it against something, ergonomic pistol grip and a fairly short forearm, with a mount for a bipod.

Don't know yet if a freefloating barrel would fit the concept I have in mind, but I'm considering an 18" barrel with a 1/10 twist.

In my concept, the scope shouldn't be mounted as far forward as on the Steyr Scout , but still have a marked forward position. For my concept, I'll go with a Swarovski PV-N 2.5-10x56 with the 4A-N crosshair. Keep in mind, this is just conceptual, but I imagine this rifle to be for shorter ranges(less than 500m usually) and quicker engagements where mil-dots are of less importance, thus no mil-dots in the scope.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
For noise reduction why not coat the stock with line-x or similar product?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Nekekami said:
Doesn't work quite as well, since a hollow stock still works as a resonance box.
I mean in addition to the foam filling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts