• Mini 30 (7.62x39)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
an ar-15....

lol no... id probably pick the mini-14 if thats all i had to choose from.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
DONT use wolf ammo....
steel cases are harder than brass, this can cause damage to your extractor
also the lacquer coated steel case makes it not worth it once you have to clean your weapon
accuracy is crap also
if you want cheap ammo look at Federal XM193 surplus... real Lake City M193 ball ammo or Winchester's equivlent Q3131A i know they work well in AR-15s
you could try American Eagle 55 gr FMJ-BT too.. not very expensive and prittty accurate too
no junk from those rounds either

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I voted mini 14 because it can handle surplus 5,56 mm, but as they guys say running 7,62x39mmmm in the mini-30 would be a bad idea. I think Ruger actually says don't do it. Thats the major selling point of the 7,62, cheap and available ammo. Personally I think it is more versatile and effective.

·
Registered
207 Posts
well i voted for the mini-14, but my biggest question is what will you use the rifle for?
Chris

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
it is dude, but you can't use surplus in it. They suggest only using North American ammo.

The hard primers in Eastern Block ammo can actually break its firing pin

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
DONT use wolf ammo....
steel cases are harder than brass, this can cause damage to your extractor
also the lacquer coated steel case makes it not worth it once you have to clean your weapon
accuracy is crap also
Have to call BS on this one as I have tons of experience with Wolf with my G30.

I hear the steel cases can eventually wear the extractor, but of all the complaints I've heard about Wolf ammo, I've NEVER heard anyone who's actually experienced a destroyed extractor because of it. The issue comes up every other week on Glock Talk, and although there are stories to be told, none of them ever substantiate the clame that the extractor can be damaged.

The coating they use now is different than it was in the past and is much cleaner. There is a lot more dust, so to speak, from firing Wolf, but a thorough cleaning of your pistol will take care of it just fine: you don't have to scrub extra hard, you just have to make sure you're wiping everything well... which you should be doing to begin with.

I've found Wolf to be just as accurate as anything else--I haven't done bench-rest studies with my G30, but it's good enough for regular practice.

Although you're speaking about rifle ammunition, there are a lot of people who use 'em for their rifles and find 'em to work just fine. In cases that I've heard of a Wolf round damaging someone's gun, it's always been followed with how nice Wolf Customer Service was in repairing/replacing the firearm. You might not want to risk it in Granddad's antique rifle, but you're not talking about something that isn't irreplacable.

Wolf is so cheap that you don't lose anything if you buy a box of 50 and test it out. If it feeds well enough (I have three or four failed feeds every couple of hundred rounds), and it's accurate enough, give it a shot.

I can buy 50 round boxes of Wolf .45 ACP for almost 6.50 if I buy in bulk... I've yet to see any 'budget bullet' come anywhere close to that price. Give Wolf a shot, the money you save makes all the difference.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Its reliable in my SKS, but what ain't?

The horror stories, as Scatch said, are from the old ammo, but I'd never seen that. It does have red goop around the primer but its not all that hard to clean...none of the laquer stays in the firearm.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Scatch:
i know someone who had extractor problems on thier 1911 with it....

wasnt aware of any change in the coating... thats good now but i still will stay away from wolf

give more details about accuracy...
the last person who claimed that without giving details was hitting all over the place with silvertips and with wolf its cause they couldnt shoot for ****... not saying thats you but just saying give details

Muzzleblast: russian guns are crap but they can handle crap that would **** most guns up... what can i say lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
Scatch:
i know someone who had extractor problems on thier 1911 with it....
Jeff_850 said:
Well there's one person for the thousands of, "I once heard..." It's likely he's responsibile for all of those hear-say tales.
Muzzleblast: russian guns are crap but they can handle crap that would **** most guns up... what can i say lol
Thousand bucks says that you won't doubt its reliability to stand in front of it.

Jeff_850 said:
Scatch:
give more details about accuracy...
the last person who claimed that without giving details was hitting all over the place with silvertips and with wolf its cause they couldnt shoot for stuff
And we've really given the "what's-what" to others who have made claims of accuracy without providing much backup. In the Gallery, I've posted my shot results with double-taps at 10 yards... that was with Wolf.

The best comparison I can make against Wolf is Winchester Ranger, the law enforcement ammunition. I use it for home defense, and bought a case to test its reliability (I could never afford to shoot it anything close to regularly). The Winchester Ranger is MUCH cleaner (there's no smoke or odor), but I am not any more accurate with the Ranger than I am the Wolf: I get consistent groups with both.

In response to the charge that maybe my groups are all over, I recommend you look at my photos, titled something about Aortas, I'm sure. Please note that I never aim for the "X" ring, as gut shots don't stop a threat like aorta shots will, so please don't think I "missed" upward.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If it gives the same accuracy as most mini 14s (3-4 moa with far worse sights and trigger) and it only cost me what equates to 110 US, I fail to see how its crap :p

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yea...
Mini 14s are known for not always hitting the broad side of a barn
AR-15 people dont need to worry weather thier next rifle will need work or not for it to shoot well :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
yea...
Mini 14s are known for not always hitting the broad side of a barn
AR-15 people dont need to worry weather thier next rifle will need work or not for it to shoot well :)
Cost of said AR-15? Around a thousand bucks I hear for a good one...

Cost of Muzzle's SKS? About 1/10 of that. Which am I going to buy first?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yes a Bushmaster AR-15 costs around $1000 but you get what you pay for
i have too many of them, all standard models are sub moa
all accurized modles are sub 1/2 moa

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've heard that Wolf ammo can be problematic in ARs when the laquer coating melts in the chamber, but I've also heard that it works fine. I don't use it because I hate cleaning ARs when they don't have a spent casing cemented in the chamber; that and I'm lazy, so I don't risk it. I also just read a review of the Remington 40-XS in Special Weapons for Military and Police, they tried Wolf and said it surprised them. They didn't say what that group measured though. As far as Mini-30 or Mini-14, I don't know, not really interested in those, but I'd say mini-14 because I'd guess the accuracy is a little better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts