Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Range Prep and Rant

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  badshot 
#1 ·
Okay, a few things I wanted to address:

Yesterday morning and this morning I have spent setting up a new range on forest service land about 15 minutes away from my house. I use a single 18" x 21" x 5/8" hardened steel plate. I have setup in a gated canyon with great backstops and fields of view for safety reasons. I now can engage my steel plate anywhere from 250-1000 meters. (with a slight dead zone around 475-525 meters that will make it hard to engage from at that range). I am extremely excited to use this new range. My last training area was only good for 450-500 and 700-750 meters. Everything in between was not usable, not to mention it was a 45 minute drive. So, that is the good news.

Now my RANT. Shooters are freaking slobs, and if we all don't do something about it, we wont be able to shoot anywhere. At the mouth of this canyon, where I park, it has been used by "typical" shooters, and its discusting. I'm sorry if this offends some people, but heck, I hope it does! I am very sick and tired of people bringing their JUNK up to the woods, sitting it on the nearest tree, and blowing the crap out of it with their guns, AND THEN LEAVING IT THERE AS IF IT WERE A PUBLIC DUMPING GROUND. People, if you take something up and want to bust some caps and blow off some steam, that is fine, shooting is great for that. BUT CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES. I personally think that I'm probably preaching to the choir, as must precision shooters are not this way (at least the ones that I've met). But, perhaps if we ALL start to spread the word to just pick up after yourselves, maybe it'll help. I picked up some of the trash this morning and hauled it away with me, swearing the whole time. If these idiots make it so the forest service shuts down shooting in this area, then I'm screwed, and I wont be happy, not to mention it freaking makes some of the most beautiful country God created look like a dump. Okay, I think I've made my point. Lets all try to do better.

Thanks for listening

MEL

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm with you Mel some of these clown are slobs big time!! I spend the first 15-20 minutes at my range picking up target scraps and empty bottles and cans (the American Shooting range guys never really come down to the long-range rifle end of the range (300-600 yards) so no one ever cleans up the scrap targets or shooting positions.)

I can only imagine what it will look like when I shift to Bayou Rifles (and its 1,000 yard range) and they will have to clean it up themselves...

#4 ·
I've heard a few complaints of people leaving beer cans etc around...

In America isn't there a law against "drink shooting"?

#6 ·
If they had a law against drinkin' and shootin' then just about every Texas deer hunter would be breaking the law.

Ok, before I get flamed................ I said "just about"

I personally do not drink so that law would really make me happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.