Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given some Ranger 308 LEO ammo a couple of months ago by a LE friend that no longer needed/wanted it. It was issued to him in the late 80's early 90's by the best of his memory. It is what he shot in a HK G3 rifle. (It looks like 118LR)

I finaly got back to the range on Sunday to do a little more testing with my 20" FN PBR in .308 (had to use the old Bushnell 10X because I have a new scope comming from MEL when he does the review). I had quite a few boxes of the ranger stuff so I thought that I would try it (free ammo :wink: ) The results at the 100 yd target was pretty good. I shot 20 rnds, few to get it on zero and then shoot some groups to see how it would hold up. Ave. group size was about .65-.75 MOA. (Not too bad for free stuff). I opend the next box and moved to the 300 yd target. The group OPENED UP BIG TIME! I am talking about a 6" 3 shot group :? ! So I moved back to the 100 yds target, the next shot felt and sounded hot! the next round would not chamber. So I stoped all activities...........I inspected the remaing rounds and the OLA looked fine, but I did find one bullet that was deformed. I still have several boxes on the Ranger left. Anyone know anything about the Ranger ammo? It has several types of brass and the primers are staked so it is not realoads. I will try to get a pick of the box and some rounds later.

BTW: the Hornady TAP 168gn shot a 1.5" group at 300yds (and with a crapy scope and stiff trigger) :D will post a pic of it as well!

PS - Man, that shooting mat sure would have been nice! I had to lay in a fresh new load of gravel and get all dusty.

PSS - We are now at the new range (Camp Shooters Club) and the farthest range is 300yds. They are working to get the 400 & 500 yd range open by the end of june and the 1k range by the end of the summer. This range has the possibily of going to 1.5k yds!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Ranger.... if I remember correctly, that was the rename for the "Black Talon" ammo. Its more of a good hunting ammo than match ammo. I know that was the case for the pistol ammo, so I am assuming the same name change was for the rifle ammo also.

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may say on the box that it is Match ammo, I will have to check. The bullet looks to be a SMK. It sure don't look like hunting ammo, I could be wrong (have been before).

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
the original black talon ammo used a hollow point/tip bullet with controlled expansion, but it certainly was not a SMK. Of course, we could not be talking about the same ammo also

MEL

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The box says "BTHP". I will try to get that pic up later. I am leaving on vacation in a couple of hours so it is a little hecktic right now.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, that should be right. If its the stuff I'm thinking of, its Winchester Ranger SXT ammo. Used to be known as black talon, or even "fail safe" now??

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
The pistol ammo is Ranger SXT (have a few boxes I can photograph if necessary), but I didn't know they made rifle ammunition? I don't imagine it expands in a similar fashion?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually use Winchester Ranger in 223Rem. It's very similar to Power Point and from what I can tell is a little hotter in the load but otherwise the only distinguishing feature is you have to present a military or law enforcement ID to get it. I think it's a 'liability' thing in case an ocifer shoots someone and they want to sue or something.

Maybe someone can clarify because I asked the question before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts