Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experiance with any knives from Ranger Knives? I've heard some good things about them, but all and all I don't hear alot about them, and was wondering if anyone here had used one, and what there opinions were about it. I'm looking for a small fixed blade that I can use basicly as a supliment for a folder, nothing too big or fancy, but still good and usefull, so I was looking at the Shiv from ranger knives for that purpose, and just wanted your opinions on it.

http://rangerknives.com

thats there site.

Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
1095 steel is awesome I highly recommend it.

Especially if it is going to be a true work knife. If you are going to buy a tactical knife and take it out in the field once a year it may not be pretty enough for you (sorry, low blow). :lol:

What a lot of people don't realise about high carbon and stainless steel knives is, when you actually have to be out in the field for a long period of time your knife will get dull.

I don't like to do more sweating than necessary when I'm out on a trek so I like my blades sharp.

When your triple case hardened D2 steel blade gets dull, you will need something strong enough to bite into D2 to sharpen it.

D2 being a tool steel, you are going to have a long fight on your hands.

While some people will say 1095 is a "weaker" metal, I've never snapped a blade in half during regular (read: proper) use of a field knife. When I want to sharpen 1095, a good stone and some water will put you in good shape.

I've never heard of Ranger, but I like no nonsense one piece full tang knives a lot.

I also like softer steel blades a lot and after reading this:

http://rangerknives.com/Warranty/index.html

I think I'll be giving them a ring sometime.

Thanks for the link!

-snowy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem for the link. Thanks for the info on the steel. It's not going to be beat on every day, and I'm not notoriously hard on my knives, but they see alot of light work, and would prefer something that will give me years of good work out of it, and with that free sharpening warranty, I'm not too worried about my ineptitude with sharpening knives.

BTW: I think that knife ifs plenty pretty enough for me :wink:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Nah, not talking about you.

I like to rib people who have really fancy clean gear all the time.

You know, like no neck sweat rings engraved on their field jackets.

I love the look of something that works because it was designed to work.

Fully functioning beat to heck field gear is a favorite of mine.

Like when the matte coating on a blade starts to wear away, but the blade itself is in top shape. The earmarks of a tool that is beautiful and useful.

BC had some great pics of stuff like that (God bless'im).

-snowy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my Gerber AR 3.0 is like that, it has a teflon coating on the blade, its considerably worn in places from daily light use, and atleast once a month, long, hard use. But I keep it sharp and clean (in fact it went throught the washer just last week!)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have a BDU jacket left over from a few tours in Nam, it is in fine shape...

Well, it works for me anyway. The snaps and the zipper don't work and the seams on the sleeves are completely open and the liner is gone, but I'll take it over that new stuff anyday. I can stick stiff ground cover inside the sleeves and it can't get anymore dirty.

It is perfect.

-snowy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a field jacket that my sister gave to me (shes in the reserves) and its looking like its getting a good start in that direction. But I plan on "wearing in" alot more gear when I enlist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts