Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been planning a bolt action build for quite some time. I was originally planning on going Howa 1500 barreled action with a Mcmillan a5 or a6 stock. Now I am leaning towards Bergara b14 hmr wilderness. If I like the stock it would save me about $600.00 over what the Howa would run. If I don't like the stock it will wind up being 1k more overall or so as the Bergara is 1k and Howa action around 500-600.

Next would be optics. I am on a budget and really been a fan of SWFA since the original 10x42m back in the mid to late 90s. With that in mind I was going to go with the ss 5-20hd, but lately been looking at the burris dmr 2 but never used a busier reticle, just mil dot. So kinda split on the optic.

For the bipod I was either going to start off cheap with the trusty Harris and eventually upgrade to the Atlas. Overall its around 2.5k-3k for the Bergara build depending on optic.

As I am in planning stage I am always open to suggestions.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I have never regretted manners/McMillian stocks. My current favorite for heavy rifle is the A6 PRS adjustable. Regardless of which stock you get, you want adjustable cheek rest.

As far as the barreled actions go, I would consider them a toss up. I have been around a couple of bergara hmr’s and they both shot sub moa with good ammo, but nothing to write home about.

As far as optics go, anything in that price range will be a place holder until you can afford something nicer, but it will get you started.

With this setup, the McMillan stock will be the nicest piece of the kit.

·
Registered
871 Posts
For am on a budget optics, I would never go below Burris XTR II. I am not really crazy about the Vortex lines. Had enough not so good experiences already.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For am on a budget optics, I would never go below Burris XTR II. I am not really crazy about the Vortex lines. Had enough not so good experiences already.
Both the sfwa ss5-20 hd and Bushnell dmr ii are in same price category and made in Japan just like the xtr ii.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So i have been planning a bolt action build for quite some time. I was originally planning on going Howa 1500 barreled action with a Mcmillan a5 or a6 stock. Now I am leaning towards Bergara b14 hmr wilderness. If I like the stock it would save me about $600.00 over what the Howa would run. If I don't like the stock it will wind up being 1k more overall or so as the Bergara is 1k and Howa action around 500-600.

Next would be optics. I am on a budget and really been a fan of SWFA since the original 10x42m back in the mid to late 90s. With that in mind I was going to go with the ss 5-20hd, but lately been looking at the burris dmr 2 but never used a busier reticle, just mil dot. So kinda split on the optic.

For the bipod I was either going to start off cheap with the trusty Harris and eventually upgrade to the Atlas. Overall its around 2.5k-3k for the Bergara build depending on optic.

I like my Bergara HMR with a Nightforce NXS. I shoot sub MOA at 200 easily and hit the steel

I like my Bergara MHR with the Nightforce NSX. 5.5 x 50.
Sub MOA at 200 and steel Silhouettes at 600.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve never owned a Burris. When I google DMR 2 the search results are bushnell, not Burris. Link?

I considered the SWFA but the reticle lines are thick and bold for visibility at lower magnification. It’s not that noticeable at 10x, but at 18x it’s a big difference compared to other scopes like vortex, leupold, Schmidt. Seems the more money you spend, the thinner the lines.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Both the sfwa ss5-20 hd and Bushnell dmr ii are in same price category and made in Japan just like the xtr ii.
DMR II runs around $1,200 and XTR II runs around $850. If $350ish difference doesn't matter, going with DMR II would be a good choice. Only down side for DMRII is that it's not illuminated. I usually don't consider SFWA as an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why not use a Remington 700 Long-range as your base. Comes with floating bull barrel, bedded in steel and an adjustable trigger. I originally wanted to swap for a Mc Millan as well but liked the factory stock well enough. That, a Nightforce scope and a 40 moa base got me out to 1800 yards. Of course this assumes weight is not an issue because that thing is heavy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not use a Remington 700 Long-range as your base. Comes with floating bull barrel, bedded in steel and an adjustable trigger. I originally wanted to swap for a Mc Millan as well but liked the factory stock well enough. That, a Nightforce scope and a 40 moa base got me out to 1800 yards. Of course this assumes weight is not an issue because that thing is heavy.
With the lack of qc over the years and the bankruptcy of Remington that is not a great choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On a budget I’d go RPR at about 1.2K. Shoot out the barrel and replace it with a custom barrel at about (1K). A lot of great PRS shooters start out on that platform in 6CM or 6.5CM (for those who also want to hunt with it). For a bit more money (about 2.5K) I’d go Tikka. Above that (about 3.5K), Tikka with a chassis and custom barrel. Above that, full custom build at about 4.5K.

In my family we have an RPR and a full custom, both in 6CM. One of us was an army sniper and in those hands the RPR gets about 1/2 MOA accuracy, while the custom build gets about 1/4. The RPR has a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 gen2 scope in the 1Kish price range. The custom rifle has a Schmidt pm2. Both perform well out to 1200 yards in local club competitions. The scopes I see in competition are about half nightforce, and the rest are Vortex, Leupold, Kahles, and Tangent Theta. I see Sightron in airgun competitions but I’ve never seen one on a PRS rifle.

Other than the tightness of groups, the main difference between the RPR and the custom rifle is the smoothness of the action. In competition, you are not allowed to advance the bolt until you have crosshairs on target. The RPR action is stiff enough that it can throw your crosshairs off target when you advance the bolt and then you have to reacquire the target, which costs time. But if you don’t have an RM watching and waiting to DQ you for skybolting, it’s not going to be a performance issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont care for the rpr and I dont care for chassis systems. I think I am going with an origin action and McGowen Barrel on a SF buddies recommendation. Puts the rifle a bit over 2k with a Mcmillan stock. Optics on the other hand are going to be pricey. Going with a custom action I can take my time and spread the cost out and build slowly.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I dont care for the rpr and I dont care for chassis systems. I think I am going with an origin action and McGowen Barrel on a SF buddies recommendation. Puts the rifle a bit over 2k with a Mcmillan stock. Optics on the other hand are going to be pricey. Going with a custom action I can take my time and spread the cost out and build slowly.
If you are going custom, contact Travis at TS customs before you pull the trigger. The guy makes rifles that shoot crazy good at reasonable prices. I have several rifles and barrels from Travis.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are going custom, contact Travis at TS customs before you pull the trigger. The guy makes rifles that shoot crazy good at reasonable prices. I have several rifles and barrels from Travis.
I'll look into it, but with me building the custom i can build it slowly one piece at a time if need be.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I'll look into it, but with me building the custom i can build it slowly one piece at a time if need be.
You can do that with any smith. Buy the pieces you want one at a time and when you have them all, ship them to the smith.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts