Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble resizing 30-06 once fired nosler brass. Thinking my chamber my be slightly big. I cant get a full stroke on the press. Is there a die I could pre size it with so I could size these correctly? Not a vent issue...used 3 different lubes. Any ideas?
Liquid Cosmetics Drinkware Solution Fluid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having trouble resizing 30-06 once fired nosler brass. Thinking my chamber my be slightly big. I cant get a full stroke on the press. Is there a die I could pre size it with so I could size these correctly? Not a vent issue...used 3 different lubes. Any ideas?
View attachment 29266
Neck size the spent cases. Looks like rifle chamber is largely oversized. Military chamber?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a rifle from Montana Rifle Company. Absolute tack driver. I'm thinking the chamber is oversized from spec. Military chamber? I'm thinking the spec should have been held.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's either a chamber or dies out of spec. I would measure your fired brass (neck and body). Compare those measurements to the SAAMI chamber specs. Should be .4708" .20" from the cartridge base and .3404" at the neck. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In looking at the pics, something is way out of spec. I had a similar problem with 300WM brass which was purchased as once fired. It was military once fired brass and I had to go to a special collet die to even get it close. Standard dies would shave a ring of brass off the outside of the case. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the chamber specs really big. If the rifle shoots like you say, maybe send a set of dies to the builder and see if they will match them to the reamer they are using for 30-06.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I bought 300 brand new nosler sized cases. I loaded them and shot 200. So I have 200 fire formed cases. The company that built the rifle is no longer. I would be interested in having the chamber cast but don't want to screw up anything in the process. I have a Leopold custom turret and it is spot on to 700 yards. Could be further that's the farthest I've tried. That's why I want everything to be the same. However maybe the best thing to do is just neck size the spent cartridges and save the 100 I have left for hunting. If I need more I just buy new brass for hunting. Meanwhile I can see if the once fired brass shoots the same as the new ones..... My OCD doesn't like it though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In looking at the pics, something is way out of spec. I had a similar problem with 300WM brass which was purchased as once fired. It was military once fired brass and I had to go to a special collet die to even get it close. Standard dies would shave a ring of brass off the outside of the case. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the chamber specs really big. If the rifle shoots like you say, maybe send a set of dies to the builder and see if they will match them to the reamer they are using for 30-06.
What is a special collet die? Are they caliber specific. I'm going to throw the calipers on the spent brass and see it the chamber is indeed oversized.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is a special collet die? Are they caliber specific. I'm going to throw the calipers on the spent brass and see it the chamber is indeed oversized.
The collet die I have sizes the case as if it were being squeezed in a hand, not from the top down. If that makes any sense at all. I know the dies are available for belted magnums. Not sure if they are available for 06. A little caliper work should answer some questions. If the once fired brass specs out good, the die may be at fault. I've had dies which weren't quite right. Best of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just took another look at the pics you posted. Have you removed the neck expander from the die and tried sizing that way? I had an expander ball improperly adjusted once and the outcome looked just like your brass. The ball was way to high in the die and pinned the case neck in the die causing the base of the case to collapse. It's an easy fix if that turns out to be the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it just keeps getting worst. My base diameter is .5025. So that makes it so my redding deluxe set doesn't work. None of the dies will fit over the brass. Not the neck only die or even the Seating die. Looked into custom dies. $450 for a set. Ouch! I was thinking it I could find a die thats .50 and takes a bushing I could make it work. Is that possible?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I'm starting to wonder, if your brass has to expand that much to fit the chamber, is it even a good idea to try and resize it. It may cause all types of problems down the road. The best long term solution may be a new barrel with a more realistic chamber. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's my most accurate rifle. It was going to be my last. Can always just reload new brass. Seems like a shame though

Not sure what a new barrel costs but the custom dies would be cheaper than that

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's my most accurate rifle. It was going to be my last. Can always just reload new brass. Seems like a shame though

Not sure what a new barrel costs but the custom dies would be cheaper than that
Probably looking 3-400 for a new good barrel plus a smith to spin it up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts