Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One year later.... I did end up getting the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x40 LR/T, and a bullet seating die from RCBS. With a bunch of help from people on the forum I got some ammo loaded. Yesterday was the day to try it :)

I put a nice big target at 100 yards just to make sure I was hitting paper (yes the gunsmith that mounted the scope boresighted it). First shot was about 8 1/2" high and about an inch right, I let the gun sit for about 5 minutes between shots. The next 3 shots all 8" high right on center in the same hole. Awesome, so I clicked down however many clicks for 8" and tried again. Couldn't find the hole at first, cause it was right where I was aiming :)

Didn't have a lot of time, and it was cold and crummy at the range, but I am sure looking forward to spending more time shooting this gun, and learning alot more about shooting rifle. It's going to be a while before I catch up to what the gun can do.

Mark

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I'm glad you got some trigger timew on one of the old classic wildcats. It was such a great round, Winchester decided to base their .300 Win Mag on it, with some minor changes.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
NO!!!!

Keep it in 308 Norma! It is an awesome cartridge and capable of equal accuracy as the 308 Win at 308 Win ranges and more accurate than the 308 Win past 1000 yards.

The 308 Norma is not all that oddball. I know several people that own at least one, and it is on my list of sporter Mausers to build. Cases are made from 338 Win Mag, and several brands of 308 Norma brass are imported (it is probably the most popular 308 caliber magnum outside the USA).

In heavy bullets (over 190 grain), it gives nothing up to the 300 Win Mag and does it with less powder. It has been used successfully in long range bench rest and high power rifle. In fact, for decades, the US Army Marksmanship Unit used a slight variation of the 308 Norma called the 30-338, which the difference was a slightly longer neck.

I'd say buy it and keep it the way it is, or tell me how I can get my hands on it.
.308 Norma Magnum is an awesome cartridge however, finding brass is about impossible and extremely expensive. Thus converting my rifle to 300 Win Mag makes more sense than pounding my head on the wall.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
.308 Norma Magnum is an awesome cartridge however, finding brass is about impossible and extremely expensive. Thus converting my rifle to 300 Win Mag makes more sense than pounding my head on the wall.
I have a 300 Norma Mag. I was waiting for Lapua to come out with brass which finally came out. I feel your pain regarding hard to get brass.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts