Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recoil, this is one of the horses from my string during a branding and inoculating in New Mexico. My gear looks different from what most cowboys use, I come from the buckaroo spectrum of cattle herders. The saddle is a Wade slickfork with a guadalajara post wrapped in mule hide. On good days I rope with a reata, sometimes I use a 60' poly. The horse is not mine, it belongs to the ranch. My horses are a pinto/quarter horse and a blue roan and white mustang. I will get you a close up picture of the saddle tonight.

Sorry guys if this posting was way off subject, but I wanted to show Recoil my other rig.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recoil,

I might have made a typo. We were branding calves and inoculating them, also notching ears. I have a months worth of vacation a year and I freelance out to ranchers who need a hand. The picture is in Animas, New Mexico (on the southwestern side of the state). The mountains behind me are Mexico. I use a lot of traditional gear and my hats are all flat brimmed and have a flat crown. When I work, I work as a hired hand, I show up with my saddle and gear, the ranch supplies the horses and a place to flop and food to eat. I have not been out for a year or so, but plan on going to California soon to do some buckaroo work for a week. I use my personal horses locally around my area when the local cattle farmer/ranchers need help.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recoil,

Well, I am single and just turning 52, I decided not to date for a while. I decided I would concentrate on trying to have fun the last half of my life. However, with the sweet, sometimes the bitter comes along. But all in all life is doing good. I am not a rich guy, but I get by. Thanks for the comments on the gear.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recoil,

Guess what ? I just read an article in the news that says that there is a movement with the small farmers/ranchers switching back over to horses for work. Of course we know there are a lot of ranchers using horses, but for the small farmers using horses makes a lot of sense.

You and your wife are just as blessed to be able to move to Montana. I know what you mean about being 'a horseback. I have driven some pretty exotic hardware in the past, but there is absolutely nothing like being on a horse on a big range. I surely do believe in cowboy philosophy. I really like your description of what you described to me about your approach to "get out ridin".

It is kind of funny, I am a computer professional by trade, but when 5:00 hits, I am a cowboy and owning property and horses as you know is a job in its own right. It makes me feel.........alive !!!! You have a good weekend sir, and always feel free to drop a note.

Tom

·
Registered
994 Posts
Recoil said:
If you hadn't heard, we're going to move to western Montana in a few years and a lot of the appeal is the landscape (the rest of it is the abundance of common sense there :)).
What he means to say is he's planning to transfer to the ATF Field office in Missoula.

You shall burn for your beliefs, witch!

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Tom, it does not get any cooler than that!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why thank you Muzzleblast. That really means a lot to me, and I am really glad that Recoil enjoyed the picture to.

Tom

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Recoil said:
It's an abstract concept to most, but as I was having a conversation with someone last night, there is something very fulfilling to my soul to be on horseback in the wilds, single action on the hip and a Winchester 94 on the saddle. I'm sure you understand this intimately and feel this "calling" yourself since you've chosen cowboying as both a job and a lifestyle.

There was/is a certain ruggedness from the cowboy/westward expansion era that we've lost as a society. I don't mean stuff like shoot-outs at high noon (which were rare, despite Hollywood insisting they happened daily), just basic things like the value of work, common sense, self-determination and basing the value of a man on his life, not the size of his wallet or the car he drives. This appeals to me greatly.
Most people think I'm crazy, but I feel exactly the same way, and have since I was a kid when I read my first Louis L'Amour novel. I, also, dream of moving to western Montana. Maybe when the kids are out of college.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
lonewolf said:
Recoil said:
It's an abstract concept to most, but as I was having a conversation with someone last night, there is something very fulfilling to my soul to be on horseback in the wilds, single action on the hip and a Winchester 94 on the saddle. I'm sure you understand this intimately and feel this "calling" yourself since you've chosen cowboying as both a job and a lifestyle.

There was/is a certain ruggedness from the cowboy/westward expansion era that we've lost as a society. I don't mean stuff like shoot-outs at high noon (which were rare, despite Hollywood insisting they happened daily), just basic things like the value of work, common sense, self-determination and basing the value of a man on his life, not the size of his wallet or the car he drives. This appeals to me greatly.
Most people think I'm crazy, but I feel exactly the same way, and have since I was a kid when I read my first Louis L'Amour novel. I, also, dream of moving to western Montana. Maybe when the kids are out of college.
Another Louie L' Amour fan. I grew up riding horses working with cattle etc. I haven't done it in years and really miss it sometimes. While the day to day work can be hard and boring, there is something about it I liked. I can't imagine what kids did growing up in cities, there was so much to do when I was a kid in the country.

I know people think of CA as LA and San Francisco, but where I live is totaly diffrent, well was. All the city people are moving here changing things. If fact a friend and I were discussing how this place has changed and how we would trade all the Yuppies for the toothless okies we used to have here. After all they didn't care what you did. Shoot you gun off at night in your yard, they didn't care. Now we have people complaining about fences too high yard not kept in perfect condition bla bla bla.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Recoil said:
If you, lonewolf, or anyone else is interested in moving to the general Missoula area in 5-8 years, speak up. I'd be willing to at least entertain the idea. I don't have any plans on moving before 5 or 6 years at the earliest, so I still have plenty of time for considering things.
I would certainly be willing to entertain the idea. The 5-8year time frame would be about right for me, also. I'm hoping to attend next year's SC get-together, which will give me a chance to look over the area and also to visit Yellowstone, which I've always wanted to do!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ekaphoto said:
I know people think of CA as LA and San Francisco, but where I live is totaly diffrent.
I drove through northern California once, about 15 years ago. Very beautiful country! Although I didn't get off Interstate 5, the area between Redding and the Oregon border, through the Trinity Mtns. and the Cascade Range, was unbelieveable!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
lonewolf said:
I drove through northern California once, about 15 years ago. Very beautiful country! Although I didn't get off Interstate 5, the area between Redding and the Oregon border, through the Trinity Mtns. and the Cascade Range, was unbelieveable!
I live on the coast almost due west of Redding.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ekaphoto said:
I live on the coast almost due west of Redding.
Humboldt county? I had a friend who went to Humboldt State University, although I don't think he learned much. Must have been hard to see the textbooks through the haze of smoke. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts