Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I really didn't want to exceed the gun price of a M&P 15-22 so I was looking at the cheaper scopes coming from China. However, I'd appreciate a good optical. I'm looking for something "tactical" and not tacky, ya know the type, the high heel picker stabber wearing models swinging from one side to another while walking down the catwalk and then pictured on a glossy Italian magazine..... growwwllll.

Anyways, at my age I'm near sighted and would like to enjoy seeing the bullet holes in the paper from 150 meters when firing behind a M&P 15-22 [is that realistic?]. However, if the price of recommended scope by anyone willing to chime in exceeds 500 bucks then I add another criteria. What would be a great scope for the M&P 15 while taking advantage of its range?

I was thinking something with a magnification up to 12 times would be great for the .22. But, to be shared by quick dismount and mount while being transferred to and from the .22 and 5.56 adds another criteria into the equation.

Appreciate any recommendations,
BB

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
As a long standing supporting vendor of this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options with you if you've got the time to give a call, 516-217-1000. This way we can discuss what would be best for you.

Reactions: Bombastic

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Take a look at the Diamondback Tacticals. Good optics for the money and in your price range. '

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I tend to go for the higher magnification when I shoot at any distance. The problem is that if you go for the higher magnification scopes that are affordable like the Diamondback tactical 6X24FFP the 6X might be a bit high for the .22 if you want to shoot anything inside 25yds. 4X16FFP might be a good choice but still 4X is a bit high if you plan to shoot squirrels at close range.

If however your 22 and 556 are going to be range guns then go for the 6X24. I have 2 of them and I don't touch the turrets because they both have tree reticles.

All that said, you are asking a lot of a single scope to accommodate two cartridges with such different performance characteristics.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tend to go for the higher magnification when I shoot at any distance. The problem is that if you go for the higher magnification scopes that are affordable like the Diamondback tactical 6X24FFP the 6X might be a bit high for the .22 if you want to shoot anything inside 25yds. 4X16FFP might be a good choice but still 4X is a bit high if you plan to shoot squirrels at close range.

If however your 22 and 556 are going to be range guns then go for the 6X24. I have 2 of them and I don't touch the turrets because they both have tree reticles.

All that said, you are asking a lot of a single scope to accommodate two cartridges with such different performance characteristics.
I appreciate your response and recommendations Martino1. I'd rather give up near distance for long distance as on both rifles I plan to retain the near range co-witness sights. The Diamondback is exactly where'd I prefer to be in price range and the Burris Xtreme 3-15x50mm at my financial limits [what I was considering].

Thank you for chiming in and enjoy this holiday season,
BB

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just a followup,
Plan on shooting this weekend. I went with the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 Dead Hold BDC.
This optic for the price will remain on the 15-22 and not be shared with a M&P 15.
Appreciate everyone's advice!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let's see the paper when you're done.
Just an update as I was pretty excited after shooting for the first time in nearly 3 decades w/ a scope. First shot from 50 yards the bullet was 3 feet low but right on horizontally. W/in 6 shots the bullet walked steadily up until hitting the red. Then I went out to 100 yards. At that range the magnification surprised me as I was easily able to see the holes once aiming 1.5 tick/hasmark upwards in the reticle to get into the red. During this time I used Aguila .22lr super extra ammo.

Next I tried 100 rounds of Aguila sub sonic ammo and noticed the groupings nowhere near as tight. I also note that I had round 4-5 rounds out of a hundred which seemingly fired off or misfired in the chamber of the gun? To describe it seemed like the bolt wasn't all the way forward when 4-5 rounds went off. Don't know whether this kinda ammo has such a problem? Or the issue may be w/ the 15-22?

Anyways, the difference between super extra and subsonic ammo was day and night. W/ the super extra ammo the rifle sounded like an air pellet gun's released compression discharge but downrange I could for the first time hear the sonic crack of a round. Switching to sub sonic there was no sonic crack and for the first time in my life I now understood why these types of arrangements are called "plinkers". I had thought in the past that the plinking sound was the sound of the gun. Little had I known that the plink is from the sound of the round hitting the target which can be heard when the gun or background is that silent!

Had a blast shooting and felt like a kid! Can't wait to go out again soon and tighten the group on paper. I had a problem w/ the cheek riser on the stock first outting which was preventing my face or eye aligning w/ the reticle. I was really struggling w/ the eye relief and blacked out or tunnel effect in the reticle. Came home and was able to unbolt the cheek riser from the Core stock. Now I can get my eye to align w/ the reticle from behind since the obstacle cheek riser has been removed.

As was I didn't refresh the paper after sighting in so bullet holes were everywhere. And, I actually didn't bother trying to squeeze the groupings after landing on red. Next time I'll provide paper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts