Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a single press deluxe from Hornady. Never did this before. I bought Federal 215 primers, and Hornady .308 SST bullets. I don’t have a powder yet. I need help with that as well. My main concern is, can I mix different brands like that? Or is that not recommended. I noticed in the Hornady book that someone showed me, the powder charges were matched to specific bullet brands and weights. Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Components' brands always get mixed. Hornady makes brass and bullets, but not the primers and powders.

For the powder, the common brand is RL22 and H1000. There are many others but those 2 seems to be most popular. I would choose H1000, thou.

Your last question seems little confusing, but I guess you are asking why the Hornady book shows charges for the Hornady bullets only? I guess because the book was from Hornady....??? If not, could you be more specific?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd question was pretty much the same as the first one. Just tried to clarify it and instead I made it confusing. Your answer was exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
@gpark09 is right. I use Winchester brass, Remington primers, Alliant powder, and Hornady bullets in a Dillon reloading press with Lee or RCBS dies all the time.

Just remember to start with the minimum load data and work up from there. Research how to identify signs of pressure and wear eye and hearing protection.

Welcome to the world of reloading! It's next best addiction after meth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
@gpark09 is right. I use Winchester brass, Remington primers, Alliant powder, and Hornady bullets in a Dillon reloading press with Lee or RCBS dies all the time.

Just remember to start with the minimum load data and work up from there. Research how to identify signs of pressure and wear eye and hearing protection.

Welcome to the world of reloading! It's next best addiction after meth.
+1

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Before you select you bullet and weight, you might want to make note of the range of bullet weights that you barrel twist will stabilize. You probably have a 1:10 twist which according to the respected barrel maker Shilen will stabilize up to a 220gr bullet.

here is the link to their reference sheet

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Cant help you more because I don't load 300WM anymore. I like shooting my 6.5CM more.. Just a personal preference of mine. but I do have 2 300's in the closet..

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can mix any combination of primer to powder to brass to bullet. Never ever, ever, ever even think of mixing powders. Firearms are built for certain pressures and a mixture can quite possibly remove your hand, eye, the side of your face, or kill your shooting friend.

There are many books, reloading stores will help you. Let them know you are a beginner, they will show you the book section, read them and go back, they will answer your questions. As everybody says, start with a low load and build your way up. Look at your brass, it will let you know if you are headed for trouble. Don't get in a rush, there are many days ahead and a lot of data to read through in the evening after a day in the desert or the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts