Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While seating the bullet in 223 or 308 sometimes the entire neck gets smashed down and looks like King Kong stepped on it. The next round will be flawless. Why does that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Often it's a matter of the case alignment with the die's parts, like a problem with the bushing or even the press.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
I use the RCBS 3-way cutter, trims, deburs and chamfers all in 1 step. The finish is very smooth and seating bullets is very smooth. Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes assuming everything is in place as they're designed to be. If something is a little off, then...??? A die might not fit properly in the press, either because of an issue with the die or an issue with the press. Or, there could be an issue just when the expander ball or the shift it's mounted on. So, for example, a little misalignment and a square edge of the neck could catch on some part of the expander ball and cause a crush (depending on the design of the ball, some are less likely for this to happen).

BTW, another reason for a crush could be that an expander ball isn't in its proper position, like too high where it's squeezing the neck against the die's wall on the down stroke.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes assuming everything is in place as they're designed to be. If something is a little off, then...??? A die might not fit properly in the press, either because of an issue with the die or an issue with the press. Or, there could be an issue just when the expander ball or the shift it's mounted on. So, for example, a little misalignment and a square edge of the neck could catch on some part of the expander ball and cause a crush (depending on the design of the ball, some are less likely for this to happen).

BTW, another reason for a crush could be that an expander ball isn't in its proper position, like too high where it's squeezing the neck against the die's wall on the down stroke.

I don’t think there’s an expander ball in my seating die that I know of.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Since it only happens rarely, it's got to be the alignment problem. You can either be very observative with each and everyone of the cases you are seating or get one of those premium grade seater which will help align the case with bullet automatically.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since it only happens rarely, it's got to be the alignment problem. You can either be very observative with each and everyone of the cases you are seating or get one of those premium grade seater which will help align the case with bullet automatically.
So like Straightshooter said also. It’s my alignment. Why does every job turn in to an adventure for me. Ugh!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So it’s not that I didn’t chamfer it right?

Neck chamfer is on the outside of the brass, hence it wouldn't affect alignment.

This happened to me once, also, but only when seating some 0.308 Barnes all-copper bullets. Every third round or so would just crush the brass. I didn't suspect misalignment. First I thought it was the cheap PPU once-fired brass, but then it happened with some brand new Lapua cases. Since it only happened with the lead-free pills, I just chalked it up to the bullet not being soft enough to get squished into that neck. What kind of bullets are you using?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neck chamfer is on the outside of the brass, hence it wouldn't affect alignment.

This happened to me once, also, but only when seating some 0.308 Barnes all-copper bullets. Every third round or so would just crush the brass. I didn't suspect misalignment. First I thought it was the cheap PPU once-fired brass, but then it happened with some brand new Lapua cases. Since it only happened with the lead-free pills, I just chalked it up to the bullet not being soft enough to get squished into that neck. What kind of bullets are you using?
I use Hornady 223 (cheap stuff)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use the RCBS 3-way cutter, trims, deburs and chamfers all in 1 step. The finish is very smooth and seating bullets is very smooth. Just a thought
I think the deburring was the issue. I skipped a bunch of the batch. Wouldn’t surprise me if those are the ones that got smashed. It was happening with my 308 as well. So what I did was deburred and chamfered well and I haven’t had a single problem since.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the deburring was the issue. I skipped a bunch of the batch. Wouldn’t surprise me if those are the ones that got smashed. It was happening with my 308 as well. So what I did was deburred and chamfered well and I haven’t had a single problem since.

Oh.. and I’ve been very mindful of my seating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe the neck OD wasn’t large enough. If you use a FL sizing die without an expanded ball or don’t use a mandrel die the neck could be too small and the bullet crushes the brass upon seating.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts