Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been using H1000 for the first time. The stuff is great compared to the H4350 I’ve been using. The problem is that H1000 recommends a higher charge. So when I press the bullets I can hear the powder crushing against the bullet. Is that normal? Or is that a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
I’ve been using H1000 for the first time. The stuff is great compared to the H4350 I’ve been using. The problem is that H1000 recommends a higher charge. So when I press the bullets I can hear the powder crushing against the bullet. Is that normal? Or is that a problem?

Its normal on a compressed load and as a general rule lightly compressed loads can be better, you dont get any powder slope and you can get a more even ignition.. this isn't always the case but on all my rifle load for 308 , 6.5 creedmoor (both I have in bolt and AR10) 6.5 Grendel, 223 wylde, all my acuuracy loads are either compressed or just under compressed. But be safe and start 10% lower and work up with your new powder to ensure you don't over pressure your brass.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its normal on a compressed load and as a general rule lightly compressed loads can be better, you dont get any powder slope and you can get a more even ignition.. this isn't always the case but on all my rifle load for 308 , 6.5 creedmoor (both I have in bolt and AR10) 6.5 Grendel, 223 wylde, all my acuuracy loads are either compressed or just under compressed. But be safe and start 10% lower and work up with your new powder to ensure you don't over pressure your brass.

So I don’t need to cringe each time I press a bullet expecting one to explode?

·
Registered
536 Posts
So I don’t need to cringe each time I press a bullet expecting one to explode?

No, if you are withing the limits of the load data (i always cross reference a total of 3 sources) you'll be fine. Loads are proofed way over the published data so the reality is even if your over by A grain its most like only going to damage the brass and not the firearm unless you consistently run overly hot loads. The rule of thumb is start 10% below what the minimum is , so if 24 gr is listed as the minimum start at 22.6 and work your way up ( I usually do 2/10th invrements) and just work up till you find your accuracy load and check you brass for pressure signs as you go. But i would bet you good to go if you are sticking to good load data like hornady, lee, lyman, speer, hogdon.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its 6.5 creedmoor I just checked lyman, hornady and hogdon reload data and H1000 is not listed any where.. let me know what your shooting ill x ref in my 5 reload manuals just to help make sure your staying safe

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I use H1000 in my 22cm. I am sure it would work fine in a 6.5cm. I doubt it is recommended in any books, and as such makes it difficult for a new loader to know where to start.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use H1000 in my 22cm. I am sure it would work fine in a 6.5cm. I doubt it is recommended in any books, and as such makes it difficult for a new loader to know where to start.

Thats what I can find, none of my actual load manuals have 22 creedmoor.. if you can't find reputable load data, definitely make sure your starting low

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, if you are withing the limits of the load data (i always cross reference a total of 3 sources) you'll be fine. Loads are proofed way over the published data so the reality is even if your over by A grain its most like only going to damage the brass and not the firearm unless you consistently run overly hot loads. The rule of thumb is start 10% below what the minimum is , so if 24 gr is listed as the minimum start at 22.6 and work your way up ( I usually do 2/10th invrements) and just work up till you find your accuracy load and check you brass for pressure signs as you go. But i would bet you good to go if you are sticking to good load data like hornady, lee, lyman, speer, hogdon.

I use the Hogdon website for their information. I never went under the the minimum. I wonder how those would do at 1000y.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
H1000 is hard to find lately. I just got 8 pounds from MidSouthShooters. Two 24hrs later it was sold out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
H1000 is hard to find lately. I just got 8 pounds from MidSouthShooters. Two 24hrs later it was sold out.

CORRECTION:
H1000 is hard to find lately. I just got 8 pounds from MidSouthShooting. *24 hours later it was sold out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
None of my manuals have H1000 for 300 WM

Thanks for sharing that. I just made a batch according to one of those on the list. H4350 with 178gr @ 66.6 (I know.. ). One grain under the max.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem:)

Well.... haha. That was one hell of a combined math and science project. I’m seeing different powders like different seating at certain loads. It’s like cracking a safe combination in wind. Thanks again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well.... haha. That was one hell of a combined math and science project. I’m seeing different powders like different seating at certain loads. It’s like cracking a safe combination in wind. Thanks again.

Anytime:) and yeah, you just have to start low and work up and you can play with seating depths if needed. I lucked out with my shilen, the standard 2.800 was perfect when I found my accuracy load... i say 2.800 but it really varies a bit because I measure all the ogives on my pills and sort them then load so my ogive is the same distance from the base of my case.. its a pain in the butt and some say its not necessary but all I know is I get the results I'm after on paper, thats a 5 shot [email protected] yards

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anytime:) and yeah, you just have to start low and work up and you can play with seating depths if needed. I lucked out with my shilen, the standard 2.800 was perfect when I found my accuracy load... i say 2.800 but it really varies a bit because I measure all the ogives on my pills and sort them then load so my ogive is the same distance from the base of my case.. its a pain in the butt and some say its not necessary but all I know is I get the results I'm after on paper, thats a 5 shot [email protected] yards

My savage 300WM seems to love the ogive setting at 2.850 with different charges. I had terrible results with the 2.770 that Hornady Match seats them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My savage 300WM seems to love the ogive setting at 2.850 with different charges. I had terrible results with the 2.770 that Hornady Match seats them.

It may be all in my head but it seems some like ELD and SMK are more forgiving on jump space than like my berger.. the didnt like the same oal that my eld and smk did, I had to play with it and they are closer to 2.820

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It may be all in my head but it seems some like ELD and SMK are more forgiving on jump space than like my berger.. the didnt like the same oal that my eld and smk did, I had to play with it and they are closer to 2.820

I’m using ELD Match 208’s so maybe that could be true.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts