Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Anyone have any success reloading a Kel-Tec RFB?
I dont own one but a friend does and he was using full length resizing but having troubles with case not going in all the way.
So I made some loads from Virgin brass that worked flawless but once resized had the same issue.
Long story short, he went and bought a ubase die and have not had any troubles since.
Maybe he just had a unusually tight chamber.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont own one but a friend does and he was using full length resizing but having troubles with case not going in all the way.
So I made some loads from Virgin brass that worked flawless but once resized had the same issue.
Long story short, he went and bought a ubase die and have not had any troubles since.
Maybe he just had a unusually tight chamber.

Is it better to reload 7.62x51 cases instead of .308?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is it better to reload 7.62x51 cases instead of .308?
Really only difference is 308 win operates at slightly higher pressure.. for gas guns ive found lake city and IMI are really good brass, 7.62x51 is just Nato designation of the 308 win

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 600 factory rounds from Lake City. What powder would I use? I used CFE223 by Hodgdon and the rifle wouldn’t function. Maybe it was too strong because when I took the gas valve off it still locked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have 600 factory rounds from Lake City. What powder would I use? I used CFE223 by Hodgdon and the rifle wouldn’t function. Maybe it was too strong because when I took the gas valve off it still locked back.

Typically varget , 4064, w748 but bolt shouldn't lock back until mag is emptied ) ive never owned that particular key tec so I cant really picture in my mind how it runs but most semi only lock when last round is fired. I'd call kel tec, they have always had good USA based support.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typically varget , 4064, w748 but bolt shouldn't lock back until mag is emptied ) ive never owned that particular key tec so I cant really picture in my mind how it runs but most semi only lock when last round is fired. I'd call kel tec, they have always had good USA based support.

Yes. That’s what I meant. When the gas valve was opened all the way off (in my hand) I loaded one round in the mag (that’s what they tell you to do) and see how many twists on the gas valve it takes till it finally locks back. Doing it one round in a mag at a time. Big pain in the ass. When it’s opened up a lot the bolt won’t lock on the last round. When you tighten it up, it will at some point lock back. That’s when you stop, click it back 2 more and begin shooting.

Well, I had the gas valve completely off and it still locked. Basically there’s no gas coming back to recoil enough to cycle at that point. When you have it too far down the spent casing always crashed in to the new round and jammed. Also happened with factory ammo before I even made my first reload for it. Boy was I pissed. That was expensive. I was not happy.

But it seems to love this cheap LC ammo from TargetSports. I’ll try Varmint. That’s what several ppl said. Not sure what to do with my CFE223 now. Maybe I’ll get another rifle that’ll use some day. Or I’ll trade it with someone who wants it at my range for Varmint. Everyone has Varmint.

Btw I just got some primers from a place called reloadingunlimited.com That was a week ago.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok..... apparently the CFE223 burns too slow for the Keltec RFB. I’m gonna try the H335. That’s what a tech from Hodgdon recommended I try based on my explanation of what was going on, I’m praying it works.

Now that Kel-Tec got this baby working AS ADVERTISED (took two rounds, but wow, this gun is a beast) I hope I can save some money and time by reloading. If not then I’ll just keep it as a “to use while my bolt gun cools off” rifle. Otherwise I’ll reload and see how far she can go.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I use CCI #34 military primers for regular 308 ammo? I don’t need to crimp the pockets or anything right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts