Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... As in I can't get a round into my magazine without scoring the case. It's a standard short action/floorplate BDL setup. I don't know if Remington does anything different in terms of the actual design of the bottom of the receiver, or if they leave 'em stock from their .308 configuration, but I can only jam one round into the magazine at a time. Does this require gunsmith work, or should I quit whining, sell my car and go buy a TacOps? :D

I'm OK single-shot-ing the gun, but I'd rather have at least the other two rounds that are 'supposed' to be able to fit (when using 300 WSM) in the mag box.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Uriel Utter

·
Registered
611 Posts
my question is ,is the magazine the stock one for the .300wsm or a put together one from some other caliber? if memory serves me right the mag box is shaped different on the magnum/wsm rounds as com[pared to a .308/.30-06 rd, you may have to get the correct mag box/follower for the wsm. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that can be said for any rifle caliber. The mag box indeed has the triangular cutouts, and as far as I know it's dead stock for the 300. My seat depth is longer than 'SAAMI' spec, but not ridiculously so. Even the first round I try to put into the mag gives me issues, so I shoot it as a single shot rifle for now.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The 300WSM is known for feeding troubles. The fat ,short cases with straight don't lend themselves to easy loading. I'm not surprised you have troubles. I barreled a VZ24 up to .300WSM, and had a heck of a time getting them to feed properly.

Jeff

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know i'm not the only one having that issue... i'm not touching the feed lips or anything myself, but is there any chance a gunsmith can alter them to help with the 700 or am I going to have to stick to one'shotting because of it? I'd like to have a follow up shot in case life happens but I suppose...

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I think if you got a competent gunsmith to look at it, he could smooth the rails to better facilitate the feeding. I'm not sure it would be a cure, but might limit the amount of jams. The feeding the .300WSM was a lot to ask from a VZ24 Mauser anyway, having a .30-06 length action.

Jeff

·
Registered
611 Posts
you said that your rds were longer than saami spec, have you tried rds to spec? do you have the same problem with factory rds? if no problem with factory then your reloads being longer could be the problem,again just my thoughts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts