Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, newbie here :wink:

I'm looking to get a rifle for long-range paper target shooting and possibly the occasional hunting trip. I've been researching on here and some other places (this is easily the best source of info I found, BTW) and I've got it narrowed down to either the LTR or the PSS with the 5R barrel. The 5R version is only about $30 more and I prefer the stainless action/barrel, but I'm a bit wary because of some of the stuff I found on here. Specifically, I'm concerned about the comments about the barrels being "rejects" from the M24 line. Then I found some comments questioning the validity of those statements (thinking that the profile is different). So what's the latest word on this?

I think if this is still an unknown, I'll probably go with the LTR for the greater confidence in it's accuracy over the stainless/more expensive rifle.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The most definate answer I have on the subject would be from mel. He mentioned them not being quite to spec for the M24. But, take into acount that is not comparing it to a PSS, just to the M24. They are great rifles and you can't go wrong w/ one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exactly how long range are you wanting to shoot? If i wanted a rifle to shoot 600m id go with the LTR. If you want to shoot 1000m then id definanly go with the 5R just for the added muzzle velocity.
Just something to think about.
Chris

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The 5R barrels are M24 barrels that did not meet specifications (as was mentioned) they are then turned down to a varmint contour and put on a varmint rifle. I would not think of them totally as "rejects" they just did not meet the specfications as required.

As was mentioned, the extra velocity with the longer barrel will be helpful when going over 600 yards. But the LTR's have been the more accurate of the remington mass produced heavy barrel rifles.

MEL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to go with the 5R version. The range difference is something that I hadn't thought of, but not really a deciding factor for me right now. Now I'm not too concerned about the precision difference between the two and I'd really rather have the stainless action/barrel.

If/when I get good, I'll look into one of those SC rifles...they sure are tempting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know both rifles will hold their own for their intended purpose. I personally own and like the R5. I had it mounted in the HS vertical grip stock, trigger dropped to 2 lbs. and teflon moly finish baked on. I topped it with a Nikon Tactical 4-16x50 mil dot. Last trip to the range yielded 9 rounds into 2 1/4" at 300 yds. from bipod on bench (Hornady TAP 168). I don't know if this is typical of these rifles, better than average or below average as this is the only one I have experience with and don't know anyone else who owns one. But for me, it will do just fine. It is most definately not an S.C. rifle but I have a total of 1,400.00 in it. I think you will like it just fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Had a 5R and will not go down that road again. Have a Montana Rifleman coming inbound. Go with the LTR....you can not beat them!

EDIT:

Lawman.......is that you??? We missed you at the match last weekend!

·
Registered
314 Posts
What about remingtons Model 40-XB Tactical, it looks like the pss but with a differnt stock. Its a nice looking rifle... any one know about these guns? I just saw it on the remington law enforcement web site You check it out http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/40xb.htm

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
meema4780 said:
What about remingtons Model 40-XB Tactical, it looks like the pss but with a differnt stock. Its a nice looking rifle... any one know about these guns? I just saw it on the remington law enforcement web site You check it out http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/40xb.htm
YEP.......here is the low down...I am taking one to the ASC Fall match in VW the first of sept. They come with a 14 twist and 27 1/4" long flutted bbl (a few were produced with a 12 twist bbl). Now run the balistics and the 14 twist bbl is not suited for the 175SMK's.....what is it for???......run them again with a 155gn Sierra Palma Match at 2900fps and it will out perform the 175SMK at 1000 yds! You need a 28"-30" bbl to get the optimum burn for a 155 SPM and the 27.25" bbl does a pretty good job. I am just shy of 2900fps with my 46gn Varget load.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
caver101 said:
Had a 5R and will not go down that road again. Have a Montana Rifleman coming inbound. Go with the LTR....you can not beat them!
The rifle is inbound, so it's too late, but what didn't you like about it?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
problem?.......about 0.75 to 1 MOA & the bbl was not free floated, remington said they would make it right in about 12 weeks. I have seen several that are great shooters, hope yours is one of them. Let us know how it does!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guarantee that I will be the limiting factor for a while :lol:

I also just got my scope/base/rings for the rifle. I got a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope, Burris Zee rings, and a Ken Farrell base. The scope will be ok for me for a little while, but I plan to upgrade to a Black Diamond with more zoom at some point and move the Fullfield to the 10/22 that I'm going to build (next project).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I certainly am not as experienced as most of the shooters in this forum. However, I will say that the R5 worked fine for me and the problem with the free float was brought to my attention. A McMillan was not in the budget at the time so I went with the HS stock... free float problem solved.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I guess I'd say to evaluate your rifle for target specs and make sure you don't skimp on the rings and base and you should be good for hunting.

I'm not much of a hunter, but a buddy of mine who shares my outdoor enthusiasms told me the average shot distance for an American hunter is about 50 yards.

So, I say make your gear rugged and quality enough for the trail and have everything else adjusted to your target needs.

Then buy an SC1.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc1.htm

Oops how did that happen?! :twisted:

-snowy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My next question is should I bed the barrel and action? I was originally thinking yes, but since the barrel is supposedly floated, would bedding the barrel hurt the accuracy (possibly dampening harmonics)? Maybe I should just bed the action?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't think I would bed the barrel of a heavy barreled rifle. As long as it is truely free floated, that's what it needs. If there are any voids or inconsistencies at all in all that barrel bedding, that will really screw up the harmonics. They say thin, whippy barrels respond best to bedding, and heavy barrels need to be floated, and so far I've agreed with it.

Bedding the action is probably a good idea though.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm with Mel and Muzzleblast 100% , free floating your barrel is most important. You brought up a good point MB about the harmonics of a weapon platform but let me try to shed a little more light on this subject.

NODE " a point, line, or surface of a vibratory body or system ( weapon ) that is free or relatively free from vibratory motion"

I would say in my professional opinion ( do I have one here Mel ? lol ) Always bed your action into your stock, if your barrel is a varmint contour bed up to the recoil lug, if it is a Heavy Barrel like a Krieger #9 always bed 2 to 2 1/2 inches in front of the recoil lug but make sure from that point forward the barrel is free floating PERIOD.

After you bed your platform put a indicator on your barrel ( wrap a little tape around your barrel not to scratch the metal ) and make sure your action screws are set at 65 to 70 inch pounds ( very important, make sure you tighten the forward action screw first then the rear ) back off the forward screw very little and see if your indicator moves more then five thousandths , if it does re-bed your weapon. We at Tac Ops only allow two thousandths movement even though we always shoot for zero movement.....remember everything counts when you are making a 1 hole weapon system.

Michael Rescigno
Tactical Ops, Inc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tips guys! I have the bedding gear showing up tomorrow and was planning to work on that Monday, but after reading Black Ops' comments, I think I'm going to concentrate on creating a good clamp/vise system for working on guns. I've been unimpressed by most of what I've seen (or put into sticker shock). I think I can build something better and much cheaper. Then I'll just have to think about getting an indicator and mounting system or use a lever system to figure out if my bedding was good enough. It's times like these that I wish I still had access to the machine shop...

BTW, I finally picked up my 5R last night! :D It's nothing special at the moment (compared to all yours), but maybe I'll get some pics up this weekend.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Let me ask a question about the 65-70 in/lbs on the screws. When using the stock remington screws and floor metal will they take that amout of force before they start stripping, threads streaching or the thin stock remy floor metal starts to crack? I have read some test by Kelly McMillan that it may pose as a problem. That is the only source I have. Can you shed some light on this? Maybe recomend some good strong action scrrews too. Anything??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts