Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a tactical rifle and was all set to go with the Remington 700 Police (.308) until I started reading some very positive things about the Savage 10 FP2 with the accutrigger. I know the Remington is good but does anyone have any advice or experience with the Savage? The price of the Savage is less but will I be losing a lot (or anything?) by going with the Savage?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Savage is an option rifle for the people who want to "spend less" and dont mind if its a little cheaper (in quality). Im not a huge fan of the Savage stock... but several people have them and dont mind them much. I would much rather go with the Remington Police .308... the stock is much nicer. The stock on the Savage is rubber or somthing from what i remember... there are several people on the board who own a Savage and like it. But if you can afford a Reminton 700 Police in .308 i would go with that.

There is a Remington 700 for sale in the Classifieds section of this forum... it is a very nice set up and its going for $2500... it is worth it with what it has on it. Here is the link for it http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1878

BC

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
both are great weapons, ive fired both, own a Remington 700P myself
the remington has a nicer stock and the savage has a crappy stock but a good trigger now
if you can afford the remington i'd go for it, if you want to save money the savage is a few hundred less

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Ok, here I go again........

I know several people have heard me rant about this before, but plz look at this w/ an open mind.

- If you do choose the 700 (which I would by the way, it is a better rifle IMO), please consider the VS vs. the P. By this I mean instead of buying the 700P, consider the 700VS. It will save you money and is the same gun, unless ur heart is set on an all black gun w/ an extra mounting stud.

I just checked Remingon's site and I acutally don't see the VS, which is weird cuz I don't think they discontinued it. ANyone know about this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has been known that a savage stock with the exception of a aftermarket stock such as McMillan or Choate (factory stock from savage is synthetic but not very strong, so it tends to bend in the barrel area), will out shoot a Rem 700 vs, pss, vsf, ect ect ect. And due to this some shooters wont go back to a 700. So as you see it for 800 bucks you have a 700 that might need trigger work, bedding, new barrel, ect you can get a savage with a McMillan stock for 700-800 that needs no trigger work (should have accutrigger) bedding work or a new barrel (savage barrels take 10 minutes to swap out) So with a savage you have a rifle ready to shoot at the same cost of a stock remmy. Now a shooter may purchase the 500-600 dollar version of the savage with a choate stock and it will shoot just as superbly. Also Some Remmy's have been know to shoot great out of box but sometimes someone catches a rifle that needs work that will cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, both Remington and savage are outstanding choices, and you really can't go wrong with either. however I prefer savages myself. Yes many people will point out that they don't look as nice, but is that all that bad? Savage builds great actions and barrels, but they don't waste too much money on the stock, that is why they are generally a little less then the remington. Savage in my opinion is also much more shooter oriented too, they were the first ones who put out a EASLIY ADJUSTABLE trigger that YOU were encouraged to adjust. I know remingtons are no big deal to lighten either but they used to make it known that that was voiding the warrenty and they would replace the trigger with a non adjusted one at your expense if it was ever sent to the factory for repairs. (deep breath) now I know most of you out there highly disagree, and thats why I love this place, so many different opinions, so many different rifles

·
Registered
43 Posts
Loe said:
Also Some Remmy's have been know to shoot great out of box but sometimes someone catches a rifle that needs work that will cost an arm and a leg.
If someone were to catch of those "duds", does the remington warranty cover it? if so, how would one prove that the factory is responsible for the lack of accuracy of the rifle?

Does remington offer a MOA warranty on the 700P?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Does remington offer a MOA warranty on the 700P?
to my knowledge all remingtons come with a 3 moa warantee and the 700P is no differnt
they SHOULD exceed that
but there are lemons with any factory product

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They should by far exceed 3 MOA... i get 2 to 3 MOA with my AK!!!

BC

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
They should by far exceed 3 MOA... i get 2 to 3 MOA with my AK!!!

BC
they SHOULD shoot sub MOA unless you get a lemon

just some of thier sporter rifles might shoot around where your AK shoots
not the best performance from a bolt action

·
Registered
43 Posts
so in other words, if i get a 700 P that shoots 3 MOA the warranty won't cover it? that would suck.

im getting my 700p in 2 days. i have basically 0 shooting experience (aside from some airifle exp). what kind of MOA would you expect me to get?

- Scope is leupold mark4 3.5-10x (gunshop claims they will install and boresight the scope)

- Rings and base mark4 as well.

- Will prolly shoot Fed GMM .308 168 gr, maybe 175 gr.

- Will shoot at 100 yard range.

- harris swivel bipod on a benchrest or maybe prone.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Theres no telling to be honest... but from what you have posted i would guess the rifle is capable of .5 to .75 MOA at the very most... i have an LTR (20 inch barrel in .308) which consistantly shoots .30 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards given that i do my part.

If your only going to shoot 100 yards... the 168's will be just fine. But if you want to shoot far... use the 175gr match bullets.

BC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ah...The grand old question that has plauged great men for ages. Which is better Savage or Remington? My 2 cents are simple, the Savage does what its asked, no more, no less. The Remington is good, but could be tweaked just a bit, however in the end (with proper modifications, equipment, and scopes) the Remington can out preform the Savage.

"Now Zoidberg is the popular one!"

G

·
0 Posts
Remington verses Savage

I have had three Remington 700 .308s in my life. In the early 1970's I was issued a worn out Viet Nam issue 700 in a wood stock that shot dime size groups at 100 yards. I have owned two Remington 700 PSS and with Federal 168 GM they both shot/shoot dime size groups at 100 yards. The accu trigger sounds fine but I want my trigger set at one point only. I lean toward the Remington, but that is just my feelings. No matter what rifle you buy I hope you get one that does not have any faults in its accuracy or workings. Have Fun !!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your pocketbook can't take the strain of a Remington, get a Savage.

I don't care for the mickey mouse gizmo they call "Accu-trigger", but it's a clever alternative to those unwilling (or unable) to spend the one-time investment of fifteen minutes adjusting their Remingtons.

Me and the 99% of the REAL-LIFE tactical world here in the U.S. will be happy sticking with the Remingtons.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Crazdgunman said:
Me and the 99% of the REAL-LIFE tactical world here in the U.S. will be happy sticking with the Remingtons.
Well put... i think there is a good reason why the vast majority of serious long range shooters choose a Remington 700 action. Some people might dog the Remington 700's extractor as its ownly fault... in my 18 years of shooting i have yet to see one fail.

BC

G

·
0 Posts
BC, I agree with you. I have never had any kind of mechanical problems or failures with the Remington PSS. I may start an argument with someone, but I think you would have to be beating the heck out of the rifle to mess it up.

Tom

·
Registered
611 Posts
700p or savage

well for my time in the lime light I personally have not had a Savage 10fp that shot worth a crap I guess if 1.5 to 2 moa is great then they were great I have tried them in .223 and .308 out of the box ,whereas the two rem 700vs in .223 and .308 both shoot .5 to .75 moa or better if I do my part , yes I like the Remington also have a Howa 1500(s&w) that will do the same. someone want to send me a new in the box savage to test may think different but my money goes for Remington.just my opinion and thoughts

1 - 20 of 31 Posts