Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to money, have to be frugal with what I get and still afford optics. I have read through many of the postings and am interested in an opinion on which to go with.

I have narrowed my choices to either the Rem 700 VS ($553) or the Savage 10FP-LE2A ($593).

I would appreciate any serious opinions, I have been wanting a tactical for years and now have the opportunity to do so, and want to do it right, as best I can.

One note, I did find a CZ 550 Varmint with a Tasco 8-32x44 scope for $450, but it has a regular walnut stock on it. If it had had even a laminated stock I would have bought that. Are there aftermarket sniper/tactical type stocks for this that are not overly expensive? Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
H S Precision makes a stock for the CZ 550. I cant seem to find it online, but if you order their free catalog you can look into it. It looks like a very good stock, very similar to the one on the CZ 527 that Mel reviewed. As far as price goes, its cheaper than McMillan.
Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
As far as new rifles go I am going to vote for the Savage. They are not as nicely finished as the Remington’s, and lack somewhat in aftermarket support. Still for out of the box they shoot very well! I have an 110fp that consistently shoots sub MOA exactly as it came out of the box

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i say go with the remmington-- we all know that they are very nice rifles (some vs's shoot .5moa consistantly that ive seen) hope this helps ur choice

dom

·
Registered
347 Posts
"+1 on the Remi"

Go to the gun shop and hold one of each, the Remington is built more solidly and it is a tried and true action. If you wanted to be frugal you could look into a SC series rifle! :lol: Let us know what you decide on the 700 or savage!

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have held both and thought about this and every time I think I know what I want, I come up with something else, some other thought. I have never been so conflicted in my life on a weapon purchase!

I am not overly fond of either standard stock. I was thinking of the Bell and Carlson vertical grip tactical style Medalist stock, for either gun. Anyone know what the cost is on that stock, not listed in the catalog? The vertical style seems more ergonomic to me.

On the Savage 10FP, I found one for $435 shipped, this has a 24" barrel. The 10FP-LE2 has a 26" barrel for $60 more, is the extra 2" worth the cost? I am new to this so still trying to figure it all out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Last time I checked, you should be able to pick up a Medalist for 220-230$

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
PM me referance the B and C stocks, I can get you a good deal on them, better than midway or the like, and I can have the vertical one in hand in about two weeks.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Good choice, I prefer remmy next to mausers of course, which I still feel are the greatest bolt guns of all time.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Black Ops: GO WITH THE REMINGTON 700....
not only do I agree, but it says Tac Ops under his name so...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like I made the right choice, but now after reading the articles on the TacOps site on shorter barrels, I am wondering if I should have gone with an LTR. Maybe my next one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Savage 10FP-LE2A

About six months ago I purchased the Savage 10FP-LE2A in .308 with the AccuTrigger. At first I was extremely happy with the gun; the new AccuTrigger is a dream with its 2.5 pound crisp break. I also mated a 9 inch Harris bipod and a BSA Contender 8-32x50 scope.

On to the bad news. After putting fifty rounds of decent military surplus through it to break it in, I then got forty rounds of Federal Match to see what it could really do. I wasn't impressed; at a hundred yards every five round group had more than an inch spread. I've shot better with a CAR-15 and my Ruger 10/22. Anyway, so I ended up buying a case of Black Hills 168-grain Match BTHPs, hoping that this would perform better; no such luck. At a hundred yards, five round groups were still spread out by an inch or two.

My next move will be to add some bedding to the dual-pillar stock and hope that something magically improves. If not, I may consider buying a new scope; I knew from the beginning that BSA is an "economical" brand, but the other BSA scopes I own have always performed well, and my buddy still swears by them.

Anyway, as you can see, the reputation of "out of the box accuracy" did not overly impress me. Perhaps it needs just a little more breaking in, and I have several hundred rounds of Black Hills to do that. Then I'll start loading my own rounds and find somethin' that works.

Any ideas or suggestions to improve the accuracy would be appreciated. Anyone who is not already dead-set on buying this gun, you may want to reconsider.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
+1 on your comment brian-----by the way...no offense aaron but ur friend.......what kind of guns does he use his bsa scopes on?????

dom

·
Registered
2 Posts
So which scope?

Okay, so I agree that the BSA scope is substandard for the Savage .308, but which should I choose? There seems to be so many high quality, and excessively expensive, scopes available; how does someone choose?

I'd really like something with a lot of magnification to make those long shots a little simpler, but variable to make finding closer targets easier. Either a duplex or range finding reticle with super fine lines to be precise with the shot. And a large objective lense is a must.

Which name brands would you all recommend, and perhaps some specific lines or models that would really do the trick. At this point, I'm not as concerned with price as I am with quality. I'd really like to exploit the potential of this rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts