Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a Rem 700 sps tactical in .308win. I am wondering if anyone has seen a muzzle adapter that would fit this rifle.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think what you are referring to is muzzle brake. These are items that need to be installed by a gun smith because they require some machine work to the end of the barrel. Give Mark Lammers of LOSOK custom arms a call he can hook you up.

On a side note why would you put a brake on a 308? 308 Winchester doesn't have that much recoil as is and a brake is really unnecessary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't mean a brake. They slip over the muzzle of the gun and are held on by set screws. The adapters have threads on them to allow quick and easy muzzle brake/suppressor installation and removal.
I don't think I've ever seen them on a barrel as heavy as the SPS but I have seen them for SKS, AR-15 and i think they make 'em for the 10/22

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I'd be a bit concerned about using something that 'slipped' on over the barrel. I've had flashhiders that were bolt on/pressure fit, but a suppressor would require things to be caliber specific to extreme tolerances in order to still be accurate. The escaping gasses are a lot to do with accuracy, the reason a crown is so important. I'm not sure I'd trust the abilities of a clamp on device with a precision weapon. Perhaps a Mac 10 or an Uzi, but a Rem 700? I'd rather have something machine fit to exacting specifications.Just my humble opinion.

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeffdorr said:
I'd be a bit concerned about using something that 'slipped' on over the barrel. I've had flashhiders that were bolt on/pressure fit, but a suppressor would require things to be caliber specific to extreme tolerances in order to still be accurate. The escaping gasses are a lot to do with accuracy, the reason a crown is so important. I'm not sure I'd trust the abilities of a clamp on device with a precision weapon. Perhaps a Mac 10 or an Uzi, but a Rem 700? I'd rather have something machine fit to exacting specifications.Just my humble opinion.

Jeff
That's probably why I've never seen a clamp-on for a rifle like this. Do you know of any companies that will machine a SPS barrel?

·
Registered
611 Posts
most any compentant gunsmith could machine the barrel, Longshot 38 gave a couple of better known ones in his post ,see above. just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think the closest thing to what you are after here is manufactered my Yankee Hill Machine. The produce a type of quick connect for a suppressor. But even this system requires your barrel to be threaded. Basically the quick connect is threaded onto your barrel and the quick connect has a very course set of threads for the suppressor to attach to. I don't know much about this system but I can tell you that Yankee Hill has a good reputation when it comes to machine work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure I'd have to have it threaded but it was worth asking.

How does the process of threading your barrel work? How will I know what thread pitch to have it threaded and will I have to have a custom suppressor because it has a Bull bbl?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The thread pitch will depend on who builds the suppressor. Every manufacturer has there own designs. So just get whoever builds your can to do the threading. And it needs to be done on a lathe by a gunsmith.

As for the bull barrel part that doesn't matter. When they machine your barrel they will get all the dimensions and tolerances right for you.

You should probably give Mike at Tac Ops a call. He just got done building me a can and he knows his stuff!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi:
Take a look at Surefire web site they make a muzzle brake adapter.
this was cut and pasted off of there site.Go to this link and click

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... sesent/00#

Look for the blue text and click on it.You can have suppressor in Michigan?

Thanks
Scott Hannah

ADAPTERS

SureFire's Fast-Attach® suppressors use thread-on adapters for attachment to most firearms. CNC (computer numerically controlled) machined from heat-treated stainless steel to exacting tolerances, they are able to withstand extreme temperatures, thousands of rounds, and combat-like conditions without any sacrifice in performance. SureFire adapters not only serve as mounting platforms for SureFire suppressors but also as stand-alone devices that improve the performance and enhance the appearance of your firearm.

MUZZLE BRAKES

A muzzle brake reduces recoil and associated muzzle rise, allowing for faster follow-up shots. Unfortunately, most muzzle brakes disperse gas back toward the shooter, disturbing his or her shot follow-through and disrupting any follow-up shots.

SureFire muzzle brakes utilize an Impulse Diffusion™ design that significantly reduces weapon recoil and muzzle rise, with minimal blowback directed back toward the shooter. World Champion shooter Mike Voigt used a SureFire muzzle brake to win the 2006 United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Multi-Gun Nationals. SureFire muzzle brakes, like all SureFire adapters, also provide a rock-solid platform for attaching a Fast-Attach SureFire sound suppressor.

FLASH HIDERS

SureFire flash hiders significantly reduce muzzle flash, minimizing degradation of a shooter's night-adapted vision and helping to conceal his position. SureFire stainless steel flash hiders are incredibly durable and provide a steady, solid platform on which to mount a SureFire Fast-Attach sound suppressor.

COMPENSATORS

With SureFire compensators you get some of the advantages of a muzzle brake, some of the advantages of a flash hider, and all of the advantages of a stable mounting platform for a SureFire Fast-Attach suppressor. Patterned after the birdcage-style flash hiders used by the U.S. military, these stainless steel compensators look as good as they perform.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Longshot38 said:
I think the closest thing to what you are after here is manufactered my Yankee Hill Machine. The produce a type of quick connect for a suppressor... I don't know much about this system but I can tell you that Yankee Hill has a good reputation when it comes to machine work.
I have fired an FN SPR with the Yankee Hill "quick connect" muzzle brake and suppressor combo, and it works great. I have also fired an AR with this combo, and again, it functions flawlessly. My only complaint about putting this system on a bolt gun is that in my opinion, that big "pointy" muzzle brake looks ugly. But, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ~Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts