Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:
I'm having feed issues with my new remington 700 VS/LH. I have a hard time getting 4 rounds to load, so I don't force them. I can get 3 comfortably; however,The bolt rides right over the 3rd round. Sometimes it catches the very edge of the case, other times the bolt misses the round completely.

This is what I have done.
I put a little of pre-bend in the spring. Removed the follower, reinstalled the follower. I lightly greased the inner walls of mag so he follower moves w/o hanging up.

I just can't figure out why the 3rd round goes in so wierd. Rounds 1 &2 click right in. I usually push/pull them all the way to the rear of the mag before the next one goes in. When the 3rd round goes in, it wants to angle forward and sort of jam on me. The only way to load it is to have the actual projectile over the feed ramp almost in the chamber, pop it in, and then pull it aft until it hits the rear wall of the mag. THEN, the bolt rides over the round.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks in advance
Big Ohio

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
What cal., and short or long action. Are you using hand loads? It sounds like your rounds may be slightly to long for the action. Have you tried other brands or seating the bullet back farther if you hand load. Also is the rifle made to only carry 3 rounds for that cal? A fourth round may be over capacity for the rifle. Last but not least, look at the feed ramp. Is it rough with tool marks etc? Is it the correct andle? Look at another Rem 700 that feeds well and see if the angle of the feed ramp is the same, or have a gunsmith look at it. I like having my feed ramp polished anyway, but have soemone thay knows what they are doing. If they change the angle it can cause problems.

·
Registered
611 Posts
700 feed problems

question that comes to mind is did it feed better or worse after you bent the spring,also make sur that the follower is installed correctly it is possible to put it and the spring in backwards, and as ek said what caliber? most magnums only hold three rounds most others 4 rounds is it a new rifle or used? dont think the ammo is the problem as it sounds like a magazine /follower problem

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is chambered in 308, and it is a short action. I tried a bunch of factory ammo, federal, winchester, blackhills etc...... all having the same problem. Currently, I'm shooting hornady match light magnum. I did look the same exact rifle, in left hand. Took them both apart side by side, and I saw no visible differrence. I have read it could be how the mag sits in the recess, but haven't had any luck. It did not feed any better of worse after I pre-bent the spring a tad. I have heard that the follower/spring is sometimes in reversed/backwards, but my rife is assembled correctly. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Have a knowledgable gunsmith polish your feed ramp and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts