Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of this new cartridge and rifle? I saw one a couple of months ago it's one bad little gun. The Remington people took a .22 magnum and whitteled it down to a .17 calibur. I think it had a muzzle velocity of around 3000 fps. It's a freaking laser, this should be a pretty good rifle just to have fun with :)

What do you think?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, you have a couple of things wrong about the new .17 First of all it is called the .17HMR meaning Hornady Magnum Rimfire, I do believe. Your subject said Remington .17 if you saying the .17 Remington you are talking about a whole different cartridge, the .17 Remington is a .223 round necked down to a .17. Also the muzzle velocity for a .17 HMR with a 17 grain bullet, listed at Hornady, is 2550. Correct me if I've said anything wrong about this stuff.

But it is a very good varmint gun not much further than 150+. And fun shoot with because of very, very little kick. I saw a Remington 597 in .17 HMR with a bull barrel, In the future I might have to get one of those.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are more exact specifiactions for those of you who like not being wrong :oops: , but I know that Remington makes the rifle, and when i say "varmit rifle" I mean a light calibur rifle that is good for just plinking around with, ya know shooting squirrels and birds and stuff, a little out of context, I apologize.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The round you are describing is a .17 HMR. This is a cartridge created by necking a .22 magnum down to .17 cal. The cartridge is an extremely capable varmit round. I have a Ruger 77/17 Stainless with a laminated stock, 24" heavy bbl, and 9 round mag ( the same as a 77 in 22 mag- so mags are available and not too expensive!). I've nailed squirrels out to 200 yds (with my bushnell rangefinder), but the bullet runs out of steam past that. The great thing is, though the guns is sighted in @ 100 yds, you hold pretty much right-on at any range. And the V-max hornady bullets literally rip the heads right off of a squirrel if you hit him right!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cant remember who is making it but, there is a new cartridge called the .204, it is a .223 mag ased cartridge necked to .204, the magazine i was reading about it in said it shot a 24 grain spire at like 4200fps. now thats fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is the 204 ruger. I was wrong about the velocities. Ruger's website claims 4225fps, with a 30 grain v-max bullet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hornady says 3900 fps w/ a 40grain BT. You can get the same results w/ heavier bullets with a .243 though. Winchester .243 ammo w/ Supreme ballistic tips are 55 grains pulling 3910 fps.

The .204 just seems to me to be another new "magic bullet of the day" :roll: .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts