Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning snipers,

I recently purchased a Remington 700 AAC .308 with the hogue overmold from budsgunshop.com. I slapped a Swarovski Z6 3-18X50 with remington leupold base and rings. I won't lie this is my fourth .308 rifle but I needed a new short barrel hunting rifle. With the 20" barrel it would do wonders for the woods in the southeast besides taking my 26" PRS .308.

We made it to the range and I started out using 4 different factory loads. Here are the loads and data at 100 yards.
Federal premium 168GR SM BTHP 1.3"
Federal premium 175GR SM BTHP 1.6"
Hornady 168GR ELD match 1.3"
Nosler trophy grade 165GR accubond 1.2"
For a Remington varmint/sendaro barrel with 6 groove 1:10 twist I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. I was expecting 1" or less for my groups. I started reading some accuracy issues with this specific rifle. Long and behold the shitty hogue overmold stock. Reviews saying the stock touches the barrel at the end and when tested sure enough it touched the barrel. It wasn't a slight touch either this thing was ball grabbing it. After playing with the rifle I finally found a position where the barrel is somewhat free floated. I shot my groups and we hung around .90-1", a little better. Now the position that I was in is so unrealistic for a shooter or hunter. But being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to upgrade it.

I immediately got on the phone with jeree from mcmillanusa.com and ordered a game stalker with the mcwoody paint. I was going to change out the stock anyways to be fair.

I ordered another timney trigger, set at 12OZ from midwayusa.com. to be fair the X mark pro trigger isn't bad I was able to get it down to 2.5LBS but the problem that annoyed me the most was the break and the consistency. I'm probably being over dramatic with it being a hunting rifle shooting less than 200 yards, but the trigger on any weapon is my biggest pet peef.

I ordered a little bastard from americanprecisionarms.com. I didn't want another big bastard, I think it would've been a slight overkill for this rifle build.

We're going to change out these things listed first and see what kind of changes we can get. I'm hoping for 3/4 or 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. If I'm still only getting 1" or opening I'm going to order a 5R groove barrel from bartlein or shilen.

In conclusion, the rifle for the price ($684.33) including tax. Would do great for the average shooter or hunter staying below 300 yards with good factory ammo. You could probably order a magpul Remington 700 hunter stock and do a quick trigger job and probably stay around 1" for a budget upgrade. I noticed that Remington AAC come in a HS precision stock. Knowing what I know now I would've waited and chosen the HS version instead of the hogue overmold stock.

I will keep you snipers updated on everything and let's see where this goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Morning snipers,

I recently purchased a Remington 700 AAC .308 with the hogue overmold from budsgunshop.com. I slapped a Swarovski Z6 3-18X50 with remington leupold base and rings. I won't lie this is my fourth .308 rifle but I needed a new short barrel hunting rifle. With the 20" barrel it would do wonders for the woods in the southeast besides taking my 26" PRS .308.

We made it to the range and I started out using 4 different factory loads. Here are the loads and data at 100 yards.
Federal premium 168GR SM BTHP 1.3"
Federal premium 175GR SM BTHP 1.6"
Hornady 168GR ELD match 1.3"
Nosler trophy grade 165GR accubond 1.2"
For a Remington varmint/sendaro barrel with 6 groove 1:10 twist I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. I was expecting 1" or less for my groups. I started reading some accuracy issues with this specific rifle. Long and behold the shitty hogue overmold stock. Reviews saying the stock touches the barrel at the end and when tested sure enough it touched the barrel. It wasn't a slight touch either this thing was ball grabbing it. After playing with the rifle I finally found a position where the barrel is somewhat free floated. I shot my groups and we hung around .90-1", a little better. Now the position that I was in is so unrealistic for a shooter or hunter. But being the perfectionist that I am, I decided to upgrade it.

I immediately got on the phone with jeree from mcmillanusa.com and ordered a game stalker with the mcwoody paint. I was going to change out the stock anyways to be fair.

I ordered another timney trigger, set at 12OZ from midwayusa.com. to be fair the X mark pro trigger isn't bad I was able to get it down to 2.5LBS but the problem that annoyed me the most was the break and the consistency. I'm probably being over dramatic with it being a hunting rifle shooting less than 200 yards, but the trigger on any weapon is my biggest pet peef.

I ordered a little bastard from americanprecisionarms.com. I didn't want another big bastard, I think it would've been a slight overkill for this rifle build.

We're going to change out these things listed first and see what kind of changes we can get. I'm hoping for 3/4 or 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. If I'm still only getting 1" or opening I'm going to order a 5R groove barrel from bartlein or shilen.

In conclusion, the rifle for the price ($684.33) including tax. Would do great for the average shooter or hunter staying below 300 yards with good factory ammo. You could probably order a magpul Remington 700 hunter stock and do a quick trigger job and probably stay around 1" for a budget upgrade. I noticed that Remington AAC come in a HS precision stock. Knowing what I know now I would've waited and chosen the HS version instead of the hogue overmold stock.

I will keep you snipers updated on everything and let's see where this goes.
Hey my friend,
I believe I have the very rifle but I haven't even shot it yet, I picked it up a few months ago. I guess we will see how she does being bone stock. .308 is more than enough for me - I am not a hunter or anything like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts