Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, iam just starting to really get in to rifle shooting, and have been shooting my uncles 30-06 and many .22's along with shotguns...i was wondering if getting the Remington 700 ADL syn. would be a good gun to start out with? I really dont have all that much money and my father really likes the rifle to (we went to the local gun store and checked em out), and it feels great to me!

What is the accuracy on this rifle? (I under stand MOA relatively, been looking on this website for a while but never signed up :lol: )

I've read that the 700 action's a good one so that you could build up on so am really wanting to go for the remmy.

Most of the time I will be shooting targets (probably no more than 0-500 yards) and going to start hunting with my uncle (deer).

Is there any bad things about this rifle that might affect me later on? Or just anything bad period!

[edit] Ill probably be getting this in 30-06 or .308

Thanks!

StealTh

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The rifles are good for what they are. You will get between 1.5-2.5 MOA from a thin barrel ADL. What I would probably suggest is to go for a new remington SPS which replaced the ADL. The SPS is the same price, but you get the hinged floor plate with the rifle. The stock is a bit different, but synthetic. Not sure if you wanted wood or not. The remington action can be used to build off of down the road when you are ready to upgrade to a more precise long range rifle.

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i have a adl syn .308 and it is a great shooter!! almost all the time i get .75 in groups at 100 yards with 150 gr remington core lokt--idk what they did to my gun but i got alot more out of it than i expected--i say go with the adl syn in .308--good caliber for almost everything

dom
ps: nikon monarch ucc 5.5-16 for glass on her

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
One thing I found about those blessed hunting rifles is they shoot great at 100 yards, but the accuracy isn't consistent for the long haul. It might go from .75 moa to moa, then to 2 moa 6 inch groups at 300 yards and 3 moa 15 inch groups at 500 yards.

Watch the non free floated barrels too. Standing unsupported, prone supported with a ruck, prone supported with a bipod, and sling supported will all give you a different POI because you are changing the relationship of the barrel and the stock. It'll still group tight as long as the pressure is consistent, just it will be shooting in a different place. Once you establish that you can live with it, but when I didn't know much about shooting, it used to have me fit to be tied.

Mel's suggestion of the SPS is great.

Remingtons have the widest variety of available upgrades.

And welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Eveyone should own at least 1 .308 bolt gun.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
One thing I found about those blessed hunting rifles is they shoot great at 100 yards, but the accuracy isn't consistent for the long haul. It might go from .75 moa to moa, then to 2 moa 6 inch groups at 300 yards and 3 moa 15 inch groups at 500 yards.
not to try to prove you wrong or anything muzz but i did experiment with my gun and got a 2.6in group at 300 yards--but i only shot two shots--but still-the sps or the adl would be a great choice

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thats not a group thats a pair.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mele said:
The SPS is the same price, but you get the hinged floor plate with the rifle.
I thought the SPS was a bit higher?

And what does a floor plate really do? I havent figured that one out yet. I talked to my dad, and now were going to go to Robinettes tomarow and see what we can find, or order. Iam hoping we can get an SPS in .308 (he talked to a guy and said you can get cheaper ammo than a 30-06) now that i've looked at them. Also is did you say the barrel was thicker on the SPS?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Mossberg 100 ATR seems to be fantastic for the money as a hunting rifle or a rifle for informal target shooting, and if that is what you want, it will let you put money towards things like ammo and optics. If you want something you can build on later though, it wouldn't be your bag.

Spade is right about the pair. I know where you are coming from, hypno. With more shots in your group though, you see that pair really open up into a big group sometimes. Still, with the variance in mass-produced sporter rifles, for all I know your rifle could shoot sub moa at 300 yards even with a 3 shot group. I wouldn't tell you it just can't. If it does though, the flip side to that coin is some poor guy bought the same rifle somewhere else and he can't get it to shoot sub 3 moa at 100 yards without some tuning.

For the factory hunting rifle crowd...the three best things I have discovered so far to wring a little bit more accuracy out of your sporters are a properly tuned trigger, lapped lugs, and some form of bedding with a floated barrel. Savages come dual pillar bedded and free floated from the shop, but Remchesters don't. With the help of a good smith who charges reasonable prices, you could have all of that done for $100. My Winchester Model 70 came with a trigger pushing 8 pounds and about 35% contact on the lugs. The potential is there, you just gotta bring it out. After that your limitations are mainly the barrel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iam wanting this so that i can build up on, so I dont think I will be getting the mossberg.

Would you need a different stock to free float the barrel on a SPS (we still havent goten the rifle, the shop was closed for this weekend! :( ) because of the front pressure on the barrel? How are the barrels on these rifles? Pillar bedding doesnt look that hard...but how many times have we all thought something wasnt hard but ended up being that way? :lol: I think i would probably get these things done around christmas, that would be a nice christmas present :p!

I still dont understand what advantages a floor plate gives you?

StealTh

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sps.htm

I don't think there are any add-ons to the Mossberg ATR so I would go with the SPS too.

As far as I know, the barrel is not floated, but that's something you can live with for a while I think.

The advantages of the floorplate are mainly that most aftermarket stocks are made for actions with a floorplate. And dumping the rounds is an easier way to unload your rifle than manually cycling the bolt and unloading each round.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mossberg 100 atr

I am currently putting together a review for the Mossberg 100ATR. I will post a few groups using lake city surplus ammo from 100 or more yards and with remington hunting ammo. If anyone has some ammo to donate to the review I will be willing to try it out. I believe that it is a very good rifle for the money but as stated, no aftermarket support yet. It would be great to see stuff like you can get for the remmy 700.

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from summer camp today (saturday) and we went to the gun shop, we ended up ordering the SPS in .308! The lady said that it should be in by tuesday or wednesday!!

I had fun at camp to! Got to shoot .22's all week long. I got some good groupings on targets...ill post them later when I can get my digital camera some batteries.... :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is the target I promised! :D Found some batteries :lol:

The guy said the rifle had a couple thousand rounds through it is the funny thing...(but i dont know how many a .22 can handle)

It was shot at around 70 feet (supposedly 50...but we measured it) with 5 rounds, and with a Savage rifle, with peep sites.

I also got to shoot some skeet (only the second time in my life!) and hit 9 out of 11 of them :D

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
wow- good shooting man....at first i thought that would be the 700 target :? -----hopefully that shoots that well

dom

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
StealTh said:
I had fun at camp to! Got to shoot .22's all week long. I got some good groupings on targets...ill post them later when I can get my digital camera some batteries.... :lol:

what kind of camps do u go to??????????i wish we had those kinda camps in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts