Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying an 700 sps tactical, Would this be a good rifle for long range or would the barrel be too short? Is the Barska SWAT scope good for target shooting?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well if you haven't already read mels review you should http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

With that being said what do you consider long range because that will give everyone a better understanding of how far you want to shoot this rifle.

Myself I just ordered one in the .223 so as soon as I get it I can let you know how it works for me

·
Registered
525 Posts
well i can't help much there never shot at a 1,000 yards but they tell me a .308 which the sps tactical is made in will do it. As for the accuracy someone else is going to have to step in for that one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are wanting accuracy out to 1000 yrds then you would not want the 20". I'm not saying that the 20" could not do it, but that a 24" or 26" would be better. Then you have to consider what ammo you will be using, what twist your barrel has, ect. Question... Have you ever tried shooting at a target 1000 yrds away? I haven't, but I would like to be able to say that one day. But for now I am starting small. I want to be able to shoot .5 MOA at 100 yrds. Then I will move out to 200, then 300. My goal is to be accurate out to at least 500 yrds with the rifle I just got before I even think about trying to find a 1000 yard range to shoot at. Once I get that good then I may have to start saving up for the New Infidel... :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have hit a target out at 1000 yards but it was with my dads rifle. he used to be a sniper and he showed me all of the calculations. windage,elevation,ballistic coefficient,barometric pressure,coriolis effect,all of that good stuff. but now im interested in buying my own and am confused on what to get.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
bigbones101 said:
i have hit a target out at 1000 yards but it was with my dads rifle. he used to be a sniper and he showed me all of the calculations. windage,elevation,ballistic coefficient,barometric pressure,coriolis effect,all of that good stuff. but now im interested in buying my own and am confused on what to get.
If your dad was a Sniper then why not ask for his input? If he has taught you all of the things you just talked about get him to help you pick the rifle. :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
bigbones101 said:
i have hit a target out at 1000 yards but it was with my dads rifle. .......... im interested in buying my own and am confused on what to get.
Well if you already have hit a 1000 yrd target with a specific rifle, then get one exactly like your dad's. Then you can be sure you're getting sound advice. Or.... Just save up and buy the Infidel.... :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im planning on getting one like him but i was thinking on settling for the lower budget stuff. well thanks for your help. i'll probably have my dad come with me to get a rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
bigbones101 said:
im planning on getting one like him but i was thinking on settling for the lower budget stuff. well thanks for your help. i'll probably have my dad come with me to get a rifle.

Sounds like a good idea......also be a good time to bond with your father. No one here minds helping here but it would see if your dad is/was a sniper then he would be able to give you loads of insight.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The 20" barrel will not hurt your long range performance with loads like Federal Gold Medal Match because they use a moderate load of a fast burning powder. If you plan to handload with hot loads of slow burning powder, you would want a longer barrel like what is on the SPS Varmint. I would recommend a new stock for either one of these rifles for the biggest improvement.

-matt

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
About the Barska scope.....get the $150 together and burn it, or throw it out the window of your car, or send it to me. You will enjoy any of those things more than you will enjoy trying to keep a Barska running. Then go to http://www.samplelist.com and get a Nikon for $150 or so. Or just get the Nikon to begin with and take your dad out for a nice dinner after you guys buy your rifle, but forget the Barska.

·
Registered
332 Posts
bigbones101 said:
I am interested in buying an 700 sps tactical, Would this be a good rifle for long range or would the barrel be too short? Is the Barska SWAT scope good for target shooting?
bigbones101 said:

If you ask, Im pretty sure your dad wont let you buy the Barska SWAT...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts