Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Your chamber is normal for Remington and will probably shoot acceptably with the proper handload. You will have to have a jump...and possibly a long one in order to keep the bullet in the case. Your throat is actually shorter than mine was.

I loaded to 2.950 with 175 smk's. That is the longest I would load and still feel comfortable that the bullet would stay in the brass.

The 175 smk is much less sensitive to jump than a lot of bullets so you might even be able to get some factory ammo with The 175's and tighten up your groups.

The only good way to get a tighter chamber is to rebarrel the rifle...and I wouldn't do that until you are sure you can't get it to shoot like it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your chamber is normal for Remington and will probably shoot acceptably with the proper handload. You will have to have a jump...and possibly a long one in order to keep the bullet in the case. Your throat is actually shorter than mine was.

I loaded to 2.950 with 175 smk's. That is the longest I would load and still feel comfortable that the bullet would stay in the brass.

The 175 smk is much less sensitive to jump than a lot of bullets so you might even be able to get some factory ammo with The 175's and tighten up your groups.

The only good way to get a tighter chamber is to rebarrel the rifle...and I wouldn't do that until you are sure you can't get it to shoot like it is.
Thank you for the info, I will try the longer bullet and see what happens. I will repost here the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What bullet are you going to hand loading with? A heavier bullet will also be longer.

Welcome to the world of lawyer proof Remington chambers.
Thanks for info. I think I will try the heavier bullet, SMK 175gr. I will use the 168 gr (which I have 3 boxes of!) for my 30.06...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thought i would update the situation.

Life took its coarse and i ended up selling the 700sps tac i started out with. And it took me another 4-5 years to replace it. When i did it was a dicks black friday special remington 700 adl varmint in .308.

I ended up doing the good enough upgrades, and have been more than happy with my results.

I put a 10x42 fixed swfa ss scope on it.

I upgraded the trigger to a bix n andy 2 stage tac sport.

I put about 1k rounds through it so far. First started with 175 smks and lee dies, thrn graduated to amaxes and now 178 eldxs, upgrades were made slowly to the reloading kit as well. I graduated to using a salt bath anealer which showed results on paper, to my last upgrade which included forster bench die, and micrometer seater, sinclair mandrel die and finally splurged for lapua brass which shrunk my es to 20 and lower.

The barrel is a 1 in 12 twist and im pushing 43 grains of varget. Last time shooting my average muzzle velocity was 2742fps at 60 degrees. Might be a little too hot when things warm up but so far no pressure signs.

Last measured group was at 100 was .75 and hits have been confirmed at 1000 yards and evidence shows i need more experience calling the wind.

The next thing on my list is to do an upgrade on the stock, i realy want to get away from this crapy camo thing. Right now im shooting off bags with no care if the stock is touching the barrel cause i cant do anything about it.

I want to do a bell and carlson something, with an adjustable cheek piece. What is holding me back is that the stock upgrade is going to have to include bottom metal and that adds to the price of the upgrade. So as soon as i find a deal on the stock i want i will be finishing this long upgrade project which will include glass bedding the stock. But until then its still fun putting shots down range and tweaking loads.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts