Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

remington 700 SPS

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  SpEcTeR 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever shot the remington 700 SPS? if so how do u think it performed and what upgrades if any would u put on it? Thanks for your replies in advance.

#2 ·
Thats just a 700 ADL with a synthetic stock right? What calliber? Any of the 700's shoot pretty good.

#4 ·
The SPS basically replaced the ADL 700s as the VSF line replaced the VSs.

I personally would pick up a BDL action in whatever caliber you desire. Now I don't mean the BDL model but a 700 action with bottom metal. A 700P is a great starter platform but is not offered in 243. Okay, okay this subject has been discussed to death. :arrow:

This question, regardless of your intended purpose has been asked so many times its not funny. You should search around and see what fits your purpose. :wink:

#6 ·
Jeff_850 said:
its a Rem 700 ADL
ive shot several ADLs there sporter barrels and prefrom as such... 1.5 - 2.5 moa being average for them
if you want performance look to the police sharpshooter varients... Remington 700P, Savage 10-FP etc
You could also look to the Rem. VS for performance.

I have a VSLH .308 that is bone stock, no bedding job, just an adjusted trigger that shoots 5 shot groups in the 4's or better with my handloads.

I wanted a Rem P, but they don't make one in a LH version for us special people. 8)

#8 ·
Okay guys, put on the brakes for a second....

check this out. The 700 SPS is NOT just an ADL with a new name, it DOES have the bottom BDL floor plate!! Which is great news and its also available in .300 WSM which is interesting as its the first remington chambered in this direct competitor to the .300 SAUM. The bad news is that the SPS"s still have the hated J Lock.

I have just ordered an SPS to use for the action on an SC1. I will replace the j lock though with a new firing pin assembly. So, if this works out, all SC rifles will now be built on brand new actions. (and no pricing change)

MEL

#10 ·
mele said:
I have just ordered an SPS to use for the action on an SC1. I will replace the j lock though with a new firing pin assembly. So, if this works out, all SC rifles will now be built on brand new actions. (and no pricing change)

MEL
What after market brand of bolt would you recommend as a replacement, Mel?? I too would like to replace the bolt on my VS.

What are the evils of a J-lock exactly? I have heard and read about slower lock times. Is this the main rub??
Many thanks....

#11 ·
Jeff_850 said:
so thats Remington's way of admitting defeat???
Well, I'd say yes, it is. If you can't beat em' join em.

so is the 700 SPS a differnt action than the 700 BDL???
and why the switch???

No, its the same action as the BDL. The BDL is still going strong, the ADL is bye bye. The new SPS and the BDL share the same action and floor plate. The BDL is just suppose to be the higher end rifles with better stocks.

What after market brand of bolt would you recommend as a replacement, Mel?? I too would like to replace the bolt on my VS.
Now, I'm not replacing the bolt, just the firing pin assembly (firing pin, shroud, firing pin spring, cocking mechanism). I'm looking at both a Remington Factory replacement (without ISS) and the Taylor (without ISS and with an aluminum shroud).

What are the evils of a J-lock exactly? I have heard and read about slower lock times. Is this the main rub??
Thats one of the main rubs, another is the introduction of ANOTHER mechanism to fail at the worst time, another is asthetics (longer shroud doesn't look as nice to many), another is just wanting to buck the "big brother" we know whats best behavior of Remington.

MEL

#12 ·
mele said:
Okay guys, put on the brakes for a second....

check this out. The 700 SPS is NOT just an ADL with a new name, it DOES have the bottom BDL floor plate!!
MEL
Mel,

Yea I didnt say that, I believe only one person explicitly stated that verbatim. :roll:

Anyway, what do you recommned for me to use to replace my Firing pin assembly. Better asked, where should I go to purchase my parts? I just need to replace one J-lock so I wont be buying up in numbers like you might but since you are shoping around....could you share some of your findings.... :D

What do you think of the CS springs and Firing pins that Mr. Tubb sells? Worth it?

You can PM them to me if you prefer. 8)

#13 ·
No need to PM, I'm sure others are looking for the info too.

Right now I am looking at Taylor and factory Remington (with no ISS). I can get the taylor from Midway and the remington from Brownells (its currently out of stock).

I need to have costs in mind to keep my rifles at the same price, so I am not looking at tubbs or some of the other ones.

The tubbs are nice, but spendy. They will improve lock time, BUT, that just what does that give you? Its hard to measure, but i do like adding every little bit you can.

The Taylor uses an aluminum bolt shroud which makes it lighter.

MEL

#14 ·
Mel,

Would the SS actually provide better resistance to the elements?

I do clean regurlaly therefore I realize that any would do since I do clean but I would like to get the better of the two.

Heres the dumb question I have to ask because I'm not about to take apart my stick to find out I'm missing something.

Does the Firing pin assembly 767-000-718 or 767-000-717 contain all the parts I require for the conversion? What tools should I have on hand?

Never had to convert an ISS bolt therefore its a good chance to learn alot.

Its all about DIY DIY DIY 8)

#15 ·
SpEcTeR said:
Would the SS actually provide better resistance to the elements?
I'm not sure if you are talking about the two part numbers you listed below or wether you are talking about aluminum vs. stainless. Of course, SS offers great corrosion resistence, but aluminum does also. If you plan to finish it with blueing or other means, then that helps fight the elements also.

Does the Firing pin assembly 767-000-718 or 767-000-717 contain all the parts I require for the conversion? What tools should I have on hand?
Yes, those part numbers are the entire assembly, but it does NOT specify wether it does or does not have the ISS. This part number 767-220-410 specifically says "NON ISS" and I would go with that one. (there is LA also).

Once you get the assembly, its easy to replace as long as you know how to disassemble your bolt. Its a drop in replacement.

MEL

#19 ·
SpEcTeR,

I have no doubt that the two will not compare in any way. That is why I placed my order with Mel a short time ago. I was merely curious as to how the new SPS would shoot. The price makes it attractive as a second or spare rifle. Something that would be familiar feeling but cheap enough to not worry to much about getting scratched or dented.

#20 ·
SpEcTeR said:
Is the part number 767-220-410 Stainless or Blued? I would rather have stainless and coat for best assurance of corrosion free shooting.
They come either way. I "think" that part number was stainless....

IN terms of reviewing the SPS.... I will be getting one in a few weeks (when the .308's become available) to use for the SC2 prototype. I can probably take that one out to see what it'll do, but there will not be a writeup on it. The one I have on the way is a .300 Win Mag

MEL

#24 ·
Okay, I got my first SPS in yesterday.

The GREAT news is that there is NO J-Lock !!! Yippiee!! I hope they all do not have the J-Locks.

The floor plate is the same that is found on the BDL's. Which is also good

So, all in all, the SPS is a dream for me and the SC rifles! It'll cost the same as before, but with brand new actions and easy to get ahold of!!!

MEL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.