Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Hello everyone! The rifle i have is a Remmy 783 in. 30-06. Yes I know flame away lol. My question is.. Is it possible to use an aftermarket stock on the ol girl. Perhaps with a little dremel customization or the like? Are the actions of this and a 700 similiar enough that stocks for the latter could work? The aftermarket for this is non existent from what I can tell. No barrels, no triggers, no nothing. So im hoping i can mcgyver some things to work. One thing at a time though. The stock! Thank you quite a lot in advance.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 783. It's a good basic hunting rifle. But it wasn't really made to be upgraded all that much. Your best bet would be to contact Stockys Stocks and see what, if anything, they have. They are one of (or the largest) supplier of aftermarket stocks in the US. If anyone would know it would be them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone heard about any of the Rem 700 and 783 parts being interchangable at all. The triggers are similar it would seem. The 783 trigger is just a sealed version of the 700.. Or so it seems anyway. Maybe I have my hopes entirely too high for this platform?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Honestly, instead of putting money into the 783 to make work like a 700, go trade the 783 in on a new 700.

Or Savage, whatever floats your goat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did exactly that a few months ago. As a hunting rifle, put a scope on the 783 and be happy. For precision tactical shooting it is handicapped.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I did exactly that a few months ago. As a hunting rifle, put a scope on and be happy. For precision tactical shooting it is the wrong gun.
How do you like the 700 Varmint? I bought the same gun last weekend, pick it up next week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do you like the 700 Varmint?
Accuracy is very good, I think. Some groups < 1 MOA, but with fliers, probably my fault. This is with some Norma 150gr FMJ ammo I bought to train with, and keep the brass for reloading later.

But ... gun + stock + scope + bipod = 15 LB gun. :( I'm looking for a lighter stock that won't give up too much accuracy, maybe an HS Precision.

Reactions: NorCalFocus

·
Registered
1 Posts
No luck at stockys stocks :-( maybe if i beg some company somewhere enough they might succumb to my request for a one off. Who knows.
Since this is an old thread you probably know by now, but Boyd's makes a stock for 783's. I have a new 783 30-06, and though I have only begun to work on loads for it, I like it for what it is. The stock would be fine with me if it didn't have such a hollow sound to it. It amplifies anything that touches it. But for a sub moa rifle(.797"group right out of the box)
for less than $400 out the door, I'm not gonna complain too much. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No luck at stockys stocks :-( maybe if i beg some company somewhere enough they might succumb to my request for a one off. Who knows.
Mdttac.com Try this website out I'm thinking about getting one from mine I have a 783 in 308 its a nice gun just because its cheaper doesn't mean it's shoots like shitt I'm shooting 4 inch groups at 300 meters its a nice gun you don't need to spend more money for a 700 when it does the same thing the gun is important but it's what the shooter does with it that makes it accurate

·
Registered
3 Posts
custom stocks

First post! Hello everyone! The rifle i have is a Remmy 783 in. 30-06. Yes I know flame away lol. My question is.. Is it possible to use an aftermarket stock on the ol girl. Perhaps with a little dremel customization or the like? Are the actions of this and a 700 similiar enough that stocks for the latter could work? The aftermarket for this is non existent from what I can tell. No barrels, no triggers, no nothing. So im hoping i can mcgyver some things to work. One thing at a time though. The stock! Thank you quite a lot in advance.

I built many amazing stocks using the factory stock as a platform/skeleton, adding wood, metal, screws, bondo and fiberglass, than assorted dyes and colored epoxy to sculpt the most comfortable heavy long range shooting stocks imaginable...and then of course glass bedding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.