Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know where I heard this but saw it on the 'net and wanted to confirm. Someone mentioned that receivers with an 'F' in the serial number were receivers that were made via metal injection molding rather than 4140 ordnance, milled steel. Anyone know anything about this? Just curious as I wonder why Remington would try this on such an integral piece of the gun.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
No, I cannot confirm.... though I kind of don't think so. (but I've been wrong before)

I could see why they would try it, ruger does it, mt rifleman does it, and some others. The reason is cost. Plain and simple.... its cheaper. When you make as many rifles as remington, even just a dollar equates to a lot of money.

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dont know how many of you are aware of this, but the titanium receivers inthe 700 line are made by Smith and Wesson for Remington, and Smith has also been contracted to make some other recievers for Remmy in the 700 and Shotgun lines. At Armorer School we were told this as and FYI, and infomed it was due to Remmy demand outstripping manufacturing resources, as well as Smith having previous experience with titanium alloy products.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts