Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any experience with the new "XCR" rifle? I think it is the only one that Remington currently offers in the 300wsm. The "XCR" stands for extreme conditions rifle, supposed to have a coating of some sort to help against corrosion.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I have not direct experience with this rifle, but I see no reason why its performance would be any different than a typical 700 BDL or SPS. Which would be 1.5-2.5 MOA. The special features of this rifle are just for all weather use.

MEL

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
XCR LRT

I have XCR Tactical. First time at the range could not get any groups under 2 ". I took it to a local gunsmith and had the following done to it: adjusted the trigger to 2.5lbs, glass bedded the action, installed Tac Ops bolt handle, had the action accurized, and set the barrel back. Cost about $600 for all of that. Now it shoots .5" which is a lot better. However, after all that I met with Mike R. and ordered and Echo 51. When that is finish I am handing the XCR over to him to have it made into an Echo too. Why you ask, well the XCR is not very balanced; the 26' barrel and the light stock combination doesn't work well for me. Also, after holding an Echo 51, that Mike had finished for some lucky person, showed me what a rifle should really be like. The shorter barrel a long with the sniper fill in the Mc Millan stock is the perfect combination. This combination makes the rifle very well balanced and that is what I am looking for right now. So, if you have the money skip the XCR and go for a Tac Ops. If not be prepared to spend a little money to make it shoot better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have one in 375H&H and it's a top gun, the recoil is quite mild and the balance is great but that Tri nitrate whatever coating makes it take anything that I can throw at it from wet conditions and no oil to falling off the back of a truck, you just can't seem to hurt it.
The coating also makes the action very smooth to cycle, feedings a dream and like all M700's the trigger is easy to play with or replace and there are ton's of after market parts for it if your anything like me and just can't leave a good thing alone.

I have played around with mine as I tend to do by putting it in a Bell and carlson stock, cutting the barrel to 22" and fitting a Vais muzzle break, there was nothing wrong with it as it was but now I have managed to put together a 7lb rifle that will handle anything from Rabbits to Elephants and still be able to drop a Deer at 300m with very little recoil and no excessive muzzle blast.

It's my go to gun for any stalking on any game.

The H&H when I 1st got it home.

The results from my 1st outing with it.

The finished rifle

This years buck with the finished rifle

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah Fallow deer are pretty small nice and easy to carry. I'm very surprised that the rabbits are in one piece after being shot with a round that can take down a elephant Ive seen plenty of overkill before that looks much worse using much less, Did you use some tame loads on them ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the same load on Rabbits, Foxes, Goats, Pigs and Deer from Fallow to Sambar, 220gn Taipan FP at 3000fps with AR2206H.
That load really hammers game and is quite flat shooting out to around 250m and the felt recoil is around the same as 30/06 and with the Vais break on it the recoil is now less then my 308win.

The other thing thats great with the H&H is that it does less meat damage then a 7mm, 30 or 338 cal magnum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts