Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In making a custom rifle I know many of you would choose a Rem 700 action. However I may have a chance to get a M591 sako action which are apparently very well made.

What are the pros and cons of choosing a sako over a rem action :?:

Has anyone used a Sako action in a custom Varmint/tactical rig :?:

Would it be possible to get it to shoot :?:

Thanks in advance guys :D

Mulga :D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have not, but here are several Sako shooters in our crowd, you gotta love the look of the TRG!

I met one of your countrymen today at my rifle/pistol range, in Houston, TExas. His son lives and works here. He travels here 2 to 3 times a year to shoot (said trying to do it in OZ was a total pain in the butt!!). He stores his firearms with his son, breaks them out, and hits the range everyday for the two weeks that he is here in the states. He was shooting a sweet looking 5.56 pistol (or something like that)

After hearing his stories of what it takes to get a permit to own a handgun, no wonder he refuses to go through that process. We truly have it easy here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh you have to fight for your rights. Pitty Australians left it too late. The "She'll be right it wont happen to us" attitude doesn't work. Its a long sad story :cry: I have even contemplated moving to the US because of the new laws, its that bad :( .

Mulga

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mulga: If you are talking about getting one of those rifles at a shop, or from some private owner, then go out and use it, I prefer the sako. Sako is a TOP QUALITY OFF THE SHELF RIFLE. Great manufacturing process. The remington has to play catch up when it comes to factory rifles.
But- If you are taking about using the action to make yourself a custom rifle, I would get the Remington action. They are THE most accurizable action on the market today. If they are built right, They are the best! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I' d build upon the SAKO action. The M591 action is used in many competition and hunting rifles, and also heavily influenced the TRG action, which is almost superb(Haven't encountered one I consider superb yet).

·
Registered
307 Posts
The M951 Action, is that the one of the Model 75 Actions? Because I have been looking around, and I can't find the mention of M951 rifle, much less the Action.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CM2k

The Sako S491, M591, L691 were the models before the model 75. The S, M & L signify the action length. The M591 was discontinued in the early 1990's.

Mulga :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts