Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what power Remington uses in there Premier Match .308 168gr BTHP? I found on there web site they use Remington #9 1/2 primers and Sierra 168gr bullets with of course Remington brass. Out team just switched to to this and so far my gun likes it as well as Fed 168 BTHP GM. Thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Someone may come along and say what they think is a close match. Manufacturers use powder sold in bulk, though, and tolerances are not always as tight as they are for 'cannister' powders sold to handloaders. And it may go under a different name.

Someone determined that Federal Gold medal Match used IMR-4064 from a Federal sales rep some time ago, and we've duplicated their load pretty well in another thread. But you never know when they decide to change to a different powder.

You can load very accurate ammo that will be as good as or better than the Remington Premiere Match load without knowing what powder they use. See the sticky threads on loading 'sniper ammo' above.

JC

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JC since I'm no longer on out team I can't allways get my hands on 308 like I used to. I would hate to load my own then have something happen at work where I was need again because we can not use hand loads for work then have to use the Remington, I was just trying to get the load infor so i could hand load as close as I could then still switch to the Remington if need without to much trouble.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you're in LE or the military (sounds like you are) someone on your team has access to a chronograph, or maybe you do yourself.

This should be pretty easy, I think. You don't need the exact powder Remmy uses, since we know most of the match .308 manufacturers are using powders in a pretty tight area on the burn range charts. They obviously use their own brass, which they also sell as components.

Varget will work, and will be close enough to whatever Remmy uses to get you so close you won't know the difference when shooting it. Get Remington brass, the Sierra 168 gr HPMK bullets, and if you want to be really anal, some Remington primers. I suspect Winchester or other brand will work just as well, but if you can order Remmy primers, why not.

Measure a box of Remmy factory ammo to find out the average OAL, then shoot it over the chrony in your rifle. Now all you have to do is work up a load using Varget that matches that velocity in your rifle. You now have your Remington Match clone round for practice. Easy, peasy.

You could also call Remington and see if they'll just tell you what powder they use, they might. But if not, I bet Varget will work fine and you'll be able to work up something that shoots just like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JC it helps to have some else look at your problemto see it clear because I'm to close most of the time.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Good luck with this! IMR-4064 has proven to be a good powder, too, but the Varget is definitely less temperature sensitive and most of us were able to make a Federal GMM load with either powder that rivaled factory.

It will be interesting to see if I'm right. If you get a load at the same velocity with Varget and shoot the Remington store-bought alongside your handload. I hope I'm right. :)

Please do let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help JC I will let you know how it works out after I finish putting up shop building. I'v not had to buy or loaad ammo for 20 yrs talk about sticker shock :shock:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wow! I can imagine! I remember ammo prices from 20 years ago. I got into reloading partly for economy, partly for the fun of it, but only about 3 years ago.

But, you will be happy to know you can reload those Remmy Match clones for about 1/3rd the cost of store-bought (give or take). That has to help take some of the sting out of it. And you don't need top dollar gear, either. I loaded my first .308 on the original Lee Anniversary kit and it shot 1/2 MOA out of my Savage. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about powder and measure for their 175 premier match? What are you getting in terms of actual mv? The factory do really well on my 700 p 26” at 100 yds....will take them out longer when my order comes in, but these may end up replacing the Fed GMM 168 im on now and I may jump into handloading from this.....looking for a good starting point in terms of powders, charge and velocities to duplicate or improve geoups (sub moa out of the one box fired...200 rds on the way for further testing).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts