Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a Remington Sportsman 78 in 30-06. I have been researching to find out if it is in deed the 700 in less appealing attire. From what I understand these were made from late 70's to early 80's as part of the Sportsman models as less expensive firearms pre-ADL and the best I found for an answer is everything works between the two actions or this is the "poor mans 700". Before I buy it and pay the money to send it off for truing and re-barrel, can anyone tell me 100% that this is in fact a 700 action just not as pretty and shiny. I know it has a birch stock instead of walnut also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Basic differences are the plain birch stock instead of walnut w/checkering, blind mag, no jeweling on the bolt and a not so good trigger. With what you'll spend to true the action and re-barrel it you might be better served to check into a Tikka T3X CTR in .308 or 6.5 CM. You would get DBM, good trigger and shoot sub MOA out of the box with the right ammo. Recoil would be more manageable also. About the only thing you would have to do is upgrade the stock at some point if you didn't like the factory plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Are you sure it's not a 788 action? If so, they're not the same action.

As far as truing and stuff. A Tikka action is not the same and a trued 700 action. But a trued 700 action isn't the same as a custom either. You may be able to buy a custom action for the same price as buying a 700 and truing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes the sportsman 78 is a 700 action, with less refinement. I used to have one in 30-06. The trigger on mine was adjustable, and a 700 adl stock fits.

The one I had, I aquire used, and was piss poor in the accuracy dept. After bedding the stock, switching scopes, scope bases, rings, etc, I managed to get the group size down to 2 moa with match grade ammo, 3 moa with factory ammo.

When I started reloading, I tried to get the group size down further, and during that I found out that the throat was seriously long or eroded. It was impossible to get the bullet in the same zip code as the lands. I literally was able to seat a flat based bullet upside down in an empty case so that the base was flush with the case mouth, case trimmed at saami max length. Drop a loose bullet in the chamber, chamber the case with the now flat and solid neck behind that, and the 2 not touch. I could shake the rifle and hear the bullet rattle between the lands and case.

That rifle sat and collected dust, with future intentions of pulling the barrel, truing the action, and having a match grade heavy barrel installed, but my attention was toward short action cartridges and fighting carbines at the time, and then around 2002 I was looking at being short around the time a mortgage payment was due and the rifle had to go.

The only way I would pick up another sportsman 78 would be for what you are debating, as a donor action for a project, and unless it is super cheap, like others have said, there are better options out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Sportsman 78, its engraved right on the side of the receiver.

this is what i was looking for. The one im looking at is cheap enough to not look over. It is in really good condition outside the slight bulge in the barrel towards the muzzle, action is very smooth. i wanted to find out from more than just 1 article i read about them being a "700" before i decided on buying it...the more people that know them the better i feel about buying it.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Any idea what caused the slight "bulge" in the barrel? I would want to make sure the bolt was not damaged in the process before I would be willing to pay $50 for the thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts