Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I am finally able to start building my rifle, and the Remington SPS tactical seems to be a popular choice,
but which is the better shooter? I've been searching and found some info, but not what I am looking for,

the Varmint has a 12" twist (308) and a 26 inch barrel
the Tactical has a shorter 20 inch barrel and the same twist rate.

so which ywould you build and why?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
999 Posts
there's a 20" vs. 26" barrel thread thats a page or two back,check that out since there both in the same caliber.

~R

·
Registered
200 Posts
From the many hours spent reading this forum on that exact same question, here are my thoughts and a few questions for you. First, how far to you plan on shooting and how much do you plan on spending to upgrade this rifle? The 20'' vs 26'' really doesn't matter until the last few hundred yards - around 1000-100yds. It really comes down to if you like a longer barrel or not. Personally I held the Tactical and was close to buying it, but I wasn't to keen on the small barrel. Like I said above there really isn't any difference, but just in case I was to modify it I would rather have more room to play with. Basically if you get the 26'' barrel you can always cut it down if you don't like it whereas if you get the 20'' barrel you're screwed.
Back to my first question. I was planning on getting it in .308 as well. However because of the limited ranges in my area I opted for a smaller .223 caliber because it would be cheaper.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on a Varmit so I cannot comment on the stock, but I didn't care for the Hogue on the Tactical. In the end I think it comes down to personal preference as you really can't go wrong with either of them. Where I plan on buying my Varmit, the Tactical is only $60 more.

·
Registered
251 Posts
excaliber said:
well I am finally able to start building my rifle, and the Remington SPS tactical seems to be a popular choice,
but which is the better shooter? I've been searching and found some info, but not what I am looking for,

thanks in advance
My SPS Tactical has a 1:10 twist. :?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
crockett007 said:
excaliber said:

thanks in advance
In .308?

·
Registered
251 Posts
tylerw02 said:
crockett007 said:
excaliber said:

thanks in advance
In .308?
Yes Komerad - 20'' tube, 1:10 twist from the factory. Sub .5 MOA with 168 SMK's (FGMM)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Have you tested it to see that it is 10 twist or did the box say it? Somebody messed up if it is a 10 twist and not a AAC SD as that is the only SPS "Tactical" that comes in 10 twist. The standard SPS comes in 10 twist though. Does it have a heavy barrel about .875" at the muzzle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rob01 said:
Have you tested it to see that it is 10 twist or did the box say it? Somebody messed up if it is a 10 twist and not a AAC SD as that is the only SPS "Tactical" that comes in 10 twist. The standard SPS comes in 10 twist though. Does it have a heavy barrel about .875" at the muzzle?
I just bought the SPS Tactical with the 20" barrel and it has the 1:12 twist. What is better?

Brandon

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The 10 twist just allows you to shoot heavier bullets but the 12 twist will shoot most everything you would put down a .308. Some even shoot 208s in the 12 twist.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rob01 said:
Is it the AAC SD model? That's the only one with a 10 twist. If not then you might want to check again.
You know, I try really hard not to make an ass out of myself when I post on these boards. But, unfortunately, I have this time.
:oops:

Thank you Rob for pointing out my goof.

It is a 1:12 twist. Please accept my humble and embarrassing apology for running my keyboard before thinking. Brain fart :roll:

regards,
Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info guys, I ordered a 700 SPS Varmint in 308 that will be in Friday for $559.00 from my local gun store

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a pic of the new one I just bought a couple of weeks ago, it is a 26" Varmint in 22-250, 1:14 twist, BC Medallist stock, the factory stock was complete crap, but I did get $65 bucks for it on Ebay when I sold it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
agreed on the aac-sd ... i havent shot one yet... but they seem like a sweet little package

20inch with the 1:10 twist and threaded... sounds like a win... grab a small brake and ur gtg

·
Registered
17 Posts
excuse me if can appear "off-Topic", i have a question regarding the Rem700 Sps:

can (some of you) confirm me if the SPS-Tactical (20 inch HB) .223 have the twist rate 1:9 ?

thank you so much

Luca

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bigbuck said:
According to the Remington website, yes the Tactical in .223 has the 1:9 twist. If you're unsure just ask whoever you're buying it from to confirm before you buy it.
Ok

thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts