Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking to buy another riffle but this time I would like some thing sniper worthy some thing I could shoot past 600 yards and I would like to keep the set up around $3k if possible but I'm open to suggestions and I pretty sure you guys know what's best

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Welcome to the site. $3000 is a good budget and 600 yards plus isn't to hard. But to better help you tell us a little more about your wants, needs, etc. Do you reload? How much shooting experience do you have? Anything that would limit what caliber you get? Whats the max you would shoot this gun? Is this strictly a target gun?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the site. $3000 is a good budget and 600 yards plus isn't to hard. But to better help you tell us a little more about your wants, needs, etc. Do you reload? How much shooting experience do you have? Anything that would limit what caliber you get? Whats the max you would shoot this gun? Is this strictly a target gun?
308 would be my caliber ideally only because I own other 308 like Scar17 I mostly shoot at a 300 yard range with the scar but I would like to be sub moa I would also like to start learning how to shoot past 300 , like 600-1000 , I don't reload yet that's my next project . As far as use I mostly be at the bench but I want a riffle that could be packed hiking and able to be used in bad weather ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1423536037.476746.jpg
I seen this riffle at a gun show in 308 I not sure the details but I think it's some kind of Remington 700

·
Registered
434 Posts
308 would be my caliber ideally only because I own other 308 like Scar17 I mostly shoot at a 300 yard range with the scar but I would like to be sub moa I would also like to start learning how to shoot past 300 , like 600-1000 , I don't reload yet that's my next project . As far as use I mostly be at the bench but I want a riffle that could be packed hiking and able to be used in bad weather View attachment 5308
I seen this riffle at a gun show in 308 I not sure the details but I think it's some kind of Remington 700
That looks like an Accuracy International AE, the gun itself is over $3k with no optic. It's an extremely good choice for a rifle and I wish I had two but if your total budget is $3k and you want a good optic you need to be looking in the Remington 700, Savage, or Ruger classes.

Good Luck,

~Ben

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Okay so here's a general breakdown of a good starter rifle with your budget....

Remington 700 5R .308 $900
If you can do it now before they all disapear, a Vortex Razor Gen I for $1300
Base and Rings $200ish
Timeny Trigger $100
Harris Bi-Pod $100

That leaves you $400 for ammo and other misc things you might want. You'll want to shoot only match grade ammo out of it. Save the brass so when you start reloading you'll have that ready to go. Save up another $500 or more for a reloading setup, and learn how to build a load for your rifle. Once you've done all this (over a year's time or two) you'll have learned a lot about what you like and don't like, and will be ready to have the gun rebarreled and the action trued.

Reactions: Rob01

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay so here's a general breakdown of a good starter rifle with your budget....

Remington 700 5R .308 $900
If you can do it now before they all disapear, a Vortex Razor Gen I for $1300
Base and Rings $200ish
Timeny Trigger $100
Harris Bi-Pod $100

That leaves you $400 for ammo and other misc things you might want. You'll want to shoot only match grade ammo out of it. Save the brass so when you start reloading you'll have that ready to go. Save up another $500 or more for a reloading setup, and learn how to build a load for your rifle. Once you've done all this (over a year's time or two) you'll have learned a lot about what you like and don't like, and will be ready to have the gun rebarreled and the action trued.
^^^^^^
Pretty much this sums it up

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking to buy another riffle but this time I would like some thing sniper worthy some thing I could shoot past 600 yards and I would like to keep the set up around $3k if possible but I'm open to suggestions and I pretty sure you guys know what's best

Thanks
The rifle will only be as good as the ammo you feed it, all else being up to par. I have seen a number of folks getting good, consistent commercial ammo for the 6.5mm Creedmoor. As far as .308, my experience with factory ammo is, to what degree of inconsistency am I going to live with? Some .308 rifles in the $500 - $1500 range can exceed the ability of their operators with a proper, consistent ammo. Speaking of, a $10,000 rifle has no value whatsoever, if the driver cannot steer it straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts