Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've was working on a rifle this morning and was thinking to myself. "Is this what I really should be doing for my loyal readers?"

This question stems from wether some might think building and selling my own rifles would compromise my unbiased reporting of rifle reviews and other equipment. This is the reason why I do not do a "Review" of an SC rifle.

So, what does everyone think? Should I keep building rifles? Should I back away from it and perhaps "instruct" others on how to do it and just stick to the web site and making it bigger and better? I've invested a decent amount in tools, but they are paid for and there is no debt, so I could back away if need be at any time. I'd just like to hear what my readers are thinking.

I have big plans for other rifle models and future projects, but figured I better be firmly committed before progressing.

thoughts?

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
From my experience in viewing what you have put into your site, you have always been very objective in your compliments and criticisms. When reviewing you seem to explicitly state whether it is based on your personal preferences or on the actual quality of the item.

On whether you should continue making rifles, I beleive that if you feel you can still be objective then the only question that remains is whether it is something you would enjoy doing.

A significant part of the info on your site is your opinions on how well suited this equipment is for the people that want to buy it. People are coming here to get YOUR opinion as someone who has first hand experience with the equipment in the environment that it was created for. I personally think it is a very logical step to start making rifles for these same people so they can get a rifle that adheres to your strict qualifications for what constitutes a quality sniper grade rifle.

I can understand your dilema as one of the main reasons that I am buying a SC3 from you is based on my comfort in your ability to make a quality firearm. This comfort is based off of my opinion that you are very knowledgible in this area, which in turn comes from my experience in reading all of your product test reviews. I have noticed that you have never pushed trying to sell your rifles. I beleive people will come here and see the amount of effort you have put forth in getting a solid information base together for everyone to access. People will use this information to help them decide which rifle they are going to put on their want list. Some people will want a SC rifle, others will purchase a TacOps rifle through your site and the vast majority will buy weapons that you don't either build or promo on your site.

Ok, thats enough a*& kissin babble for one post. I say keep making them

John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Mel, I agree with J. We come here because we trust you. The only reason i havent baught one of your rifles yet is because i havent come up with the cash yet (its christmas and all). I honestly believe, as most of us do, that your ability to look at many different models of rifles, view what works and what doesnt through the eyes of someone whos done long range work, and then adjust your rifles accordingly, is one of the best assets you have.

As J said, alot of people will buy other rifles based off your reviews, but if they do its because they can afford something more expensive or are looking for something that costs 3000-5000 dollars.

I only hope that this didnt have anything to do with the email i sent you. Because i was only thinking of your busy schedual and the forum.

Keep building rifles mel, at least until I get a chance to buy one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think you should definitely keep building your rifles. I don't find it to be a conflict of interest as you have never hyped your rifles and you remain very open about their limitations. It speaks highly of your integrity when you review rifles stating their positives and negatives, state which opinions are based on preference, and don't compare them to your rifle projects.

I think your building rifles as well as reviewing other products on the market will increase your knowledge base, which will help you make better rifles as well as help guide us forum trolls when we ask you questions. Knowledge is never a bad thing, in and of itself.

In then end though, you have to do what makes you happy and comfortable. If you don't think you can produce and review rifles objectively, then it's your call and nobody should criticize you for it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The SC lines of rifles in, my opinion, is the "No bullshit" approach to making tactical rifles. It seems every magazine I pickup I see an add for some "another tactical rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA" but they seem to sell thiers for much more than you do and they don't offer anything different!

Perhaps you are underselling yourself. I don't write business plans, so I cant confirm that, but I would definately look into it.

I told you before (through private messages) that "our" (a company I worked for) battlefield simulator was not accepted by the government because it was, and I quote, "Too cheap." I was going to be paid upon product sold, and since we never got the contract...

Without going into the violin details of it, a competitor took our product which we abandoned and marked it up 350% and sold it.

My advice? Get in touch with an AD agency and try to market your product, I'd love to be at the range and see some guy bragging about his SC 4000 Ultimate Sniper System.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Stop making the SC are you crazy!! If you think someone will think you are biased because you make your own rifles don't be they obviously haven't read your posts and have no idea what kind of person you are.

90% of what I know about rifles is from this site. Your the person that watches out for people like me, your going to let us know if something is BS or not.

I am confident that I speak for everyone that if you stop making the SC we will all be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mel

I agree that you would have a conflict of interest regarding your own rifles (YOU BETTER OR YOU AREN'T HUMAN). That having been said, I think you should still build the rifles and continue to review 3rd party rifles. I think that when it comes to your rifles, if you merely reviewed the objectively ascertainable facts - guaranteed to shoot 1/2 MOA (here are the 3 and 5 shot targets and measurements), weight 12.00 pounds including mounted Badger base and rings, and so on you should be fine. You can even go with your impressions - none of that potentially causes me any concern (I actually would like to hear what you think - that's why I come to your site)

Where it would get potentially sticky is if you are making buy and sell recommendations between a rifle that you make and one that you tested from a third party - like Robar.

No one can touch your price with your acuracy guarantee. Some 3rd party rifles may be guaranteed to shoot better (Tac Ops) - but look at the cost of that rifle. Continue to build them and they will sell.....(even to me - when I get the $$$ scratched together - gotta sell that Swarovski scope first :) )

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think you will be fine. I might think about changing that opinion if I come back to your site and see that all other rifle reviews now read:

This rifle sucks bad, buy SC or you might as well pick up a rock and throw it at them.

John

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the support guys! I appreciate it, and based off of the response, I'll dedicate myself to it and continue with my rifle projects. I'm getting ready to buy the action for the SC2 prototype.

On of the things I force myself to do is when someone asks me an opinion about a rifle, or comparing two rifles they are thinking about buying, I WILL NOT recommend the SC rifles. I just don't think that is a credible thing to do. Which is why many of you have noticed I have never recommended or pushed an SC rifle... frankly, I never will. I will answer specific questions about SC rifles if asked though.

Thanks again for the support, I just wanted to be sure I was not jeopardizing my credibility.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Mel:

I would not worry about a conflict of interest. I know that you evaluate rifles in terms of their efficiency and accuracy.

And as long as your own rifles shoot, then you should keep making them.

The great thing about rifles is that the results are on the paper. As long as you can produce verifiable results on paper, you should keep building rifles.

And if anyone claims a conflict, all you should do is point them to a target.

Mad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts