Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Where is Lonewolf when we need him?

I know I’m a little late on this one but if you are speaking about Don Mayo ( LoneWolf ) I am very sorry to say he passed away last year. I would say that’s probably why you all have not seen him on here for some time. Don was a good friend of mine and he went by the user name LoneWolf here and ODA726 on Snipers Hide…
Don is greatly missed…
Mike R.
Tac Ops

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for sticking this post. It's the second post I read since joining the forum a few hours ago.
I think it's the best thread of any forum that I've ever come across as of yet and the truth resonates like a tuning fork.
Thank you Nate and thank you all for freely sharing that which you worked so tirelessly to obtain.
I look forward to reading and learning more here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amazing post Nate, and thanks to the OP for asking that question. I bought a 700 ADL in .308 this summer and love it. So far the only change has been a Nikon optic and adjusting the trigger to a lighter setting, snap caps will be here tomorrow. After reading this thread, I am quite confident in my original plan of shooting the hell out of it to know what I can do before making any changes. I have a Lakefield .22LR that will be getting a ton of use to work on my mechanics.

Great thread for a new guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread!
My view, everyone is correct. Not trying to sit on the fence here. Because everything mentioned can contribute to accuracy (to a greater or lesser degree). Some people prefer to tackle elements A, B and C for example. While another may opt for elements C, D, E because they hate element A - reloading for example, and also has more funds available.
I bought a 700 SPS Varmint in 308 early 2015, and had very little experience with 308's. 3 biggest things that made a diference for me..
1) practice - dry firing included - on high magnification to exagerate isues with movement, flinches, trigger pull etc.
2) Glass - some decent repeatable tracking optics on a solid base. I found Sightron good value for money.
3) Reloading - Im still amazed at the difference between, for example, PPU 147gn factory ammo, and reloaded SMK155 on fired brass. Maybe my gun is fussy but I can easily see a 1/2MOA improvement every time I re-run the 2 cartridges side by side using 5 shot groups . Even tried batches with same SMK loads on fired and unfired brass, unfired brass consistently 1/4MOA worse. Reloading saved me money and improved accuracy. Probably better to start here IMHO. Allows more of item 1. and more smiles :)

Gun is standard. I also go back and train with a spring air rifle sometimes when I feel my form is getting lazy. It's a bitch to shoot well without a good repeatable hold, trigger pull etc.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Increase your shooting accuracy by following some rule. You have to understood where your bullet will fall. I can give you step by step guideline here or Url where you get all kind of informative article on rifle scope with beautiful infographics.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Before posting to this thread, the second post on page 1 should be read thoroughly...THAT is the reason this thread was sticky'd. David...reloading is important, but please read post #2...also, please make your way to our introductions section and be sure to also read the sticky's in that portion of the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The three most important things pertaining to rifle accuracy are ......the barrel.....the barrel...and the barrel. Everything else, though important, is less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A good quality barrel with a chamber cut concintric to the bore is the single most important thing you can do to improve the accuracy of a rifle. That's not to say a crisp trigger, good bedding, and a good accurized receiver are unnecessary, but none of those things will make a turd of a barrel shoot. May improve overall accuracy to a degree, but a great barrel is where it's at.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rifle modifications that increase accuracy the most?
It depends on the rifle, the basic M14 / M1A for instance can become a more accurate rifle just by bolting the action into a chassis stock like the SAGE EBR or the light weight Blackfeather RS. Typically, if your current rifle is a solid 2 MOA gun, the chassis will make it a solid 1 MOA gun. Of course this is of little help if you are not using an M14 / M1A.

Happy Independence Day!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oldie but good thread revived. Maybe I missed it, but with the 300WM recoil and comments about flinching, I didn't notice no one added a muzzle brake to Nate's list.

HAPPY 4 of JULY EVERYONE!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quality scope! I suggest the SWFA Super Sniper Scope. SWFA had a military contract for scopes and this is the scope they came up with. This scope is definitely military worthy. I can easily see and hit targets at 1000+ yards. Its also very durable since its Mil-Spec and combat tested. Oh and did I mention its only $300. This scope is better than a lot of $1000 and $2000 scopes out there. I will leave a link to where you can find it.
SWFA SS Scope- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGM7C80/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thesuppleme04-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00ZGM7C80&linkId=ba35a775524ab561d253ebf0dfa21db2

61 - 80 of 83 Posts