Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I used AlumahydeII on a Savage that's going soon. It lays very well on the barreled action but it's too thick on the bolt so I'm going to strip the bolt.

Overall I'm happy with the AlumahydeII but it does go on a bit thick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ive been looking over the Duracoat stuff on a few websites. Unfortunately, for us newbies, theres a lot of product, but not much help. Ive found tactical colors that are suppose to be flat, standard colors that I guess are somewhat glossy, and products such as retarder, flattener, and UV hardener. :shock: One website offers a "EZ Camo Kit" that looks like a decent starter kit for $100. 4 colors depending on the kit you buy, basic airbrush with propellant can, hardener, reducer, stripper, etc...

Id like some input from those that have used these products before. Advice on what to get and whats waste of money. Im definately looking at tactical application, not hot pink and purple target rifles! :D Id like to do a vietnam tiger stripe camo. Cant help it, its my favorite one. :D

As always, advice and hard earned experience is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've duracoated a few guns. Here are a couple things I have learned

-I bought one of the kits, but you are probably better off buying an airbrush locally at a hobby shop. The one that came in my kits was ok, but I could have definitely bought a better one at home for the same money.

-The propellant cans work, but not well. You are much better off with an air compressor behind the airbrush.

-The paint goes a long way. The smallest size you can buy is quite a lot, way more that you will use to paint a single gun. Since you end up with a bunch of paint on your shelf when you are done that is essentially wasted (it has a fairly limited shelf life 18 months maybe), it is expensive relative to the Krylon method or Alumahide.

I honestly don't see any major advantage to the duracoat over even the krylon method. I have yet to use it but I imagine aluma-hyde is a step up from krylon.

The Krylon camo paint is actually surprisingly good. I have painted 2 guns with it now (an AK and my muzzle loader). When I first decided to use it I put some on a small piece of metal. After I let it dry for a couple hours I put it in my oven on broil for half an hour to be sure it would stand up to the heat. The colors dulled some, but was still in excellent shape. In a few high wear areas on the AK some of the krylon has worn off (same is true with the duracoat on my PPK), but most of it is still there.

I'm going to try the Alumahyde soon and Imagine that will be what I use in the future.

Edit: After reading this I felt that I must mention that the Duracoat is better. I just don't think its worth the extra money to do a camo pattern in duracoat (you are buying enough paint for something like 12-15 guns). If you really want duracoat on your rifle use it as a base coat and do a krylon camo job over top. Definitely more cost effective and you still get the same protection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bloodwulf said:
I finally got around to painting my rifle this weekend. I went with a basic Krylon Camo flat black all over. I had a few rust spots on the barrel and just wanted to freshen up the whole rifle. I ran into a bit of a problem tho. I taped off the bolt lugs but painted the rest of the bolt. Obviously I used too much paint because now the bolt sticks when sliding either way. If I dont want a shiney bolt on a black rifle, whats the best way to do that without the sticking? I just want a nice even flat finish all over.

Alabama Wulf
i would suggest that next time instead of taping off use vasoline. on mine the only tape i used was to cover my scope lens and zoom #'s. just coat anything you dont want painted wih a good coat then wipe off when your done painting. you may run in to the occasional spot that is hard to get clean but a finger nail or plastic dentist tools will scrape it right off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fortyhourdays said:
Well, you all inspired me to finally paint mine. I just did the metal and left the stock, scope, and bipod all black. I used Krylon Camo paint.
That looks great. Did you use something as a stencil to blend the colors like that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just goes to prove that it is hard to mess-up a paint job on a stick if you just stick to the basic colors and use a little imagination.

·
Registered
1 Posts
landcbeitner,
by looking at your pic I just couldn't imagine if I'm going to paint
my sniper rifle too. As for me it looks totally awesome. Nice job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently working on my very first build. What do you recommend, painting scope, rings and base prior to mounting or mount everything first and then paint?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Camo job or just solid colors?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Paint em all seperate then.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts