Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've noticed a lot of questions about custom paint jobs for rifles and stocks. Before you send your baby away and spend all of your ammo-buying money, here is an easy, effective way to paint your own rifles.
First, get some sandpaper and scrub away at your stock and rifle, this will help the paint stick. You don't have to get crazy with it, but you are about to paint it. Once that is done go ahead and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to remove grease and whatnot. Once it is clean tape off what you don't want to paint, I also put an earplug or something down the muzzle.
Next go to the store and buy some engine or automotive paint, hot barrels will have no effect on it and it works, save that money.
I like to apply a base coat so everything will be even, while that sets go out and gather some native plants for the next step. now start thinking about what colors you want where, then apply the opposite ie, tan where you want green and vice versa, then lay on some leaves and spray the desired colors over. Vary the distance you hold the can from the rifle to make it lighter or darker, and go over some areas twice for variety. Mist a little of both colors around and whatnot, then go ahead and remove the leaves, very cool. If you want, follow that up with a matte clear coat for extra protection, extra coats in hi wear areas.
Another trick is to buy spray on grit from brownells, apply it to the grip and bolt knob prior to painting. Also make sure you keep paint off the elevation knobs on the scope, makes it difficult to read the numbers, and if you have scope caps be sure to paint the inside.
This is a picture of the first rifle I painted way back in the day, you'll notice I skipped the scope and since I built the rifle to benchrest tolerances I kept the paint off the bolt and trigger, looking back I would have painted them. Also I made the mistake of using a shiny clear coat, I buffed it with some fine sand paper but a few spots still shine.
Modify it to fit your needs, adapt and overcome, you know who you are!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Good post. I have used the removeable bow flage paint on a couple of rifles in the past. It works well but needs the occasional touch up. Like you I cant see spending a buch of money on a custom paint job when I can do it myself.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
great post, good advice, and awsome SN! :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
A painted rifle is still rifle-shaped. That said, it's also harder to notice than a black rifle in the first place.

Combination of scrim and paint would best pair a rifle to a ghillie suit.

Nice tip with the local foilage though, I had always wondered how that effect was achieved. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
AK said:
A painted rifle is still rifle-shaped. Combination of scrim and paint would best pair a rifle to a ghillie suit.
That is exactly why i use a rifle ghillie... no matter how much paint you stick on a rifle its still shaped like a rifle... and you can stick local leafs and branchs... ect ect into the rifle ghillie when the terrain changes. Grease paint (like that used for face paint) works fine on the few parts that protrude out from the rifle ghillie... such as the bipod and parts of the scope. I am almost done building up another rifle ghillie... ill post pics when its done.

BC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree completely with you, a well painted rifle is just the base of good concealment, I always try to add more 3-d camo. I have used rubber bands and/or netting to attach burlap and vegetation to my rifles. Another setup I didn't cover was urban concealment. We picked and spread apart individual threads of a piece of burlap and painted it on with dark grey and brown over a lighter grey. It was similiar to our digital cammies in appearance and disappeared in rubble beyond 10 feet. It all boils down to imagination.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Poundcake said:
It was similiar to our digital cammies in appearance
You in the Military? I see your location is 29 Stumps... hehehe.

Im with a Reconassaince unit in the 1st MEF Headquarter Group.

BC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats affirmative, SSGT?
I'm a 31 section leader with 2/7. I'm waiting for some new nco's so I can convince my CO to let me move to STA. Are you at Margarita? I spent a lot of time there this last winter and spring at DIV schools, qualed on the range with some of your boys, good group. Missed my calling.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Area 41 Los Flores, MCB Camp Pendleton. But i live off base (at the moment).

E-6... will be over 8 in July. I am not a Scout Sniper but i am DM qualed. I have been trying to get into S.S. school for quite some time... but since i allready have a "high speed low drag" MOS they wont let me in. :( Even with my 7 time expert badge... i still cant get in.

BC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We envy you sneaky squirrel guys, I too qualify as a DM, rates me the ACOG that I love so much. Our Bn sent 3 guys to the school for the first time in 2 years, they all passed. I asked but they give me the "Critical MOS" talk. I do love my job so I'm not too disappointed. Nice to meet another grunt so knowledgeable, I coach on the range and I am sometimes embarassed by others lack of knowledge in the weapon systems

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
We are a lucky group to have both you guys on here, I also paint Sniper package the same way you do. I was taught by a SF sniper that taught my LE sniper School.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Poundcake said:
I asked but they give me the "Critical MOS" talk.
Thats exactly the BS i get...

" You going to Scout Sniper school would not only take away a seasoned veteran in the 8654 community... but it would also be much more difficult to replace your spot than it would be to replace a Sniper since 8654 school is 18 months long and Sniper school is only 3 months long... im sorry SSgt but your request has been denied again. "

Pisses me off to no end... you know what i should say in reply " Well Sir its alot more difficult to replace both an 8654 and an 8541 than just one. :p "

BC

·
Registered
994 Posts
Listening to the jargon of BC and Poundcake is about as understandable as listening to Joel, Scott and Shoe speak French...

At least the Altavista translator makes me feel like I know what they're talking about! ;)

Agree with Mlammers, this board's resource of knowledge just continues to grow.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:lol: there are a lot of things I want to say that start with "well sir" but that is probably better for a conversation elsewhere. An 8654 should be more critical then a machinegunner, I'm working on it. If I'm around next week I'll let you know, one last indoc before we deploy.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
Listening to the jargon of BC and Poundcake is about as understandable as listening to Joel, Scott and Shoe speak French...

At least the Altavista translator makes me feel like I know what they're talking about! ;)

Agree with Mlammers, this board's resource of knowledge just continues to grow.

Scatch Maroo
They make perfect sense to me. But then again I speak militarese.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, same here....

Perhaps we can translate for them.... :D

Either way, great to have you on the boards Poundcake... oh, your name is great BTW

MEL

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mel, it was given to me by a loving D.I. and it has followed me since. I have to let you know, I've been following your site since its creation and you were part of the reason I enlisted. My direction changed a little once I got in and I have spent most of my career with the Mg's due to our deployment schedule, but like BC I am still pursing my original goal of scout sniper. ooh rah mel, even if you were army :D

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
mele said:
Mutual respect for all branches from me and most everyone on these forums!
That goes for me too. Anyone who gives up certain freedoms to protect mine is definitely a friend. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
OORAH... OOH RA... HOOAH... HOOYAH... and even for the Brits... HOOZAH... they all mean the same thing to the person who yells it while running forward!!!

One Team... One Fight... :wink:

BC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts