Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Background:
I am vigorously applying to many law enforcement agencies, because, (duh) I wanna be a cop. But not just a cop, I want to be Spec. Ops, SWAT, etc. with the primary goal of being a Sniper (or a "Sharpshooter" if that's more P.C.). Anyway, I'm good with handguns, damn good! Rifles are definitely not my strong suite. I don't own anything larger than a .22lr (embarrassing, I know).

So, now to the point:
I need a rifle and I need to learn how to shoot. Beginning to end: posture, sighting in, accuracy, windage, elevation, blah blah blah...

Rifle Reqs:
1. Sniper cal
2. Tactical setup
3. Long range capability
4. Optics
5. Did I mention I'm definitely NOT a "Recoil Junky"

So, there it is. I'm all ears...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
a Remington 700P in .308 is a good setup and a popular law enfocement choice
i think they are now making them with R3 recoil pads or they will be in 2005
the recoil of a .308 isnt that bad though and its definitely a fine tactical setup for the police sharpshooter

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Jeff is on the money. For a good startup rig to learn with, its hard to beat the 700P. A new savage FP model would be another good choice.

Now, if you REALLY want to learn how to shoot a rifle. Buy a target .22 rifle, and start shooting competition with it. 3 position shooting would be good. This teaches you all the fundementals you'll need to know to be a good sharpshooter/sniper. Learn the basics first, then move up to the big bore.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
most ranges have them
if you work hard shooting with a .22 LR you will be amazed how much steadier you hold the weapon etc
you can practice holding your weapon for a few minutes at a time to try to keep it steady... works well with heavy weapons
just i woudlnt dry fire a rimfire rifle, herd it can damage the firing pin or the reciever
cardio workout is always good
low heart rates always help keep steady

·
Registered
148 Posts
A good starter is a 700P and so is a Savage 10fp, however if money is not an issue i would go ahead and grab the 700p, but if it is, go with the Savage. On average the Savage is about $200 cheaper than a new 700p. However there are alot more 3rd party mods out for the 700p than the 10fp. With the Savage you do get the accu-trigger (and seeing how I own one, I love the accu-trigger). Also both do come in .308.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Is there really any point in getting a .22LR as your first rifle? I realise its good in theory, but it does come across a bit like a waste of money.

Why not just get a remington or some such in 5.56mm; that way you have a decent rifle which will entertain you long past a .22 would, and yet you can shoot it all day practicing without hutring your shoulder like a .308 would.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yimmy since when have you been able to buy a case of 500 rounds of 5.56 for 10 dollars?

Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yimmy: the point of a .22 LR is to shoot all day
thtas how you get good for cheap
a .22 LR rifle will hardly cost much
and the ammount you save on ammo is huge

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Also, with the .22LR, its very easy (and cheap) to get into competition. Nothing helps you learn and develop the proper shooting technique better than shooting in competitions.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Heh, I learned modesty and humbleness from shooting in competitions too, Mel... :oops:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah... humbling! I keep telling myself "Yah, but do they have the fieldcraft to go with the marksmanship!?" :wink:

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
haha, I like that one...I'll have to think of something to tell myself...

·
Registered
108 Posts
id go with the savage whole lots cheaper and
i think just as accurate, love my savage more than my wife
lol gl in law enforcement, my best friends a cop and yes i out shoot his butt all the time with my p89 unreal aint it

·
Registered
2 Posts
8) well most agencyes allow the shooter to chose his caliber. This being said think of the application of the round 308 good 300 win faster better. If I have to punch through a hard target to terminate the variable I want something that will hold together going through and have bullet mass to put on the variable. you should check with the department that will hire you as to the approved weapon system that they endorse. You must remember when you look through your optic you could be saving my life or that of someone you know. one shot on target. my weapon system is A
Sako TRG-42 300 Win, Swarovski 3x12x50

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
In my opinion, the 300 Win Mag has absolutely no place in the LE arena. The reasons are obvious. Due to the penetration of this round there is too high of a risk of collateral damage.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
don't count on anything similar to 16 inches of spruce to stop it, I know that much.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
.300 WM for law enforcement is NOT a good idea

the law enforcement demand for a sniping caliber isnt just to take something down
its to take something down and have ALL energy transfered into the suspect and not over-penetrate

this is why the .308 Win is one of the most popular rounds and personally why i think the .243 is hte best suited for this but this is just my opinion the .308 is proven effective

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think Spade mentioned accurately in another post (regarding the time it takes the hammer to fall after the trigger has been pulled) that many a SWAT sniper must aim for the top of the spinal column to ensure disablement of the victim as the sniper uses something smaller like a .223 to avoid over-penetration, but the .223 won't put the suspect down like a .308 will lest the shot be carefully placed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Your not wrong, I agree with jeff on this one. For shots to 350 the 243 is king for LE situations. Packs the punch but doesnt penetrate 12-14 inches like the 308.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts