Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a .308 Short Action Savage 10 FP. The rifle is great and I have been shooting very impressive groups with it (sub .5 MOA) but I am a little disappointed in the stock. I was wondering what stock you would put on it. I have been considering the Ultimate Varmint Stock by Choate. It seems lika a good bargain to me and I dont have the money to afford a McMillan or anything like it. I have also contemplated replacing the trigger but I don't know much about that either.

So far on the rifle I have:
Harris Bipod
Leupold Vari-X II 6-18x50

If you do not recommend replacing the stock what else would add/replace on it?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
You already stated you cannot afford a McMillan, which would be my first choice. The Choate isn't too bad for the money, but you may also want to look at Bell and Carlson, they now have savage stocks. Though I still recommend McMillan if you can afford it.

For triggers, there are now many that offer savage triggers, my favorite being Timney triggers. Cost is about $100 for the trigger itself.

MEL

G

·
0 Posts
savage replacement stocks

I have a Savage 110 FP in .300 Win Mag. It came with both a Bell and Carlson stock ( $110.00) from Cabela's. and the Ultimate Varmit Stock. There are both wonder replacements for the factory stocks, which feel flimsy and narrow to me. The Bell and Carlson stock fits great right out of the box but was very light making the rifle very front heavy and awkward to carry and very wierd to make a stand shot as well as doing nothing for the recoil even with the pacmyr decelarator pad. The Ultimate Varmit stock on the other hand gave great balance to the rifle added about 4 more pounds,whether or not has anything to do with it in my mind it did, took alomost all the recoil out and is very comfortable to shoot from any position. Standing shot are a little tough due to the 16 lbs of the rifle. The Ultimate Varmit stock goes for about $160.00 and I consider to be the best investment for the Savage FP rifles. I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you can find a used Remington PSS stock it might work for you. They are made by HS Precision with a full length aluminum bedding block (lesser choice to McMillan - but when $$ is the issue this might be your ticket).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. I saw a lot of stuff I liked at savageshooters.com. It sounds like i'm going to have to pawn off some more of my possesions to be able to make my dream savage. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
524 Posts
HEY

If a PSS stock will work just let me know I have a one I am willing to let go for just a few bucks. I take a pic and post it tommorrow.

G

·
0 Posts
PSS a no-go

I have not tried it but i doubt that the Remington PSS stock would work on the short-action Savage (A long-action Savage in a long-action PSS might work though.) This is because if you look the Savage short action is actually considerably longer than a Remington short action. The Savage short-action would more qualify as a "medium-action" if such a thing existed. However i think it would be feasible to file out a bit more of the loading and ejection port cut on the PSS stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although not quite as stable as synthetics, a laminate stock can be quite reasonable in price and can be shaped to fit the shooter. Richards Micro-fit Gunstocks have several target and tactical configurations availible in several colors, and they inlet for practically every bolt action. It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is another option.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/target_style's.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts