Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't mean long-term rust prevention like many threads ask, but how do you store your rigs on a day to day basis?

If you recall, FM 23-10 would have us hanging them from a rear sling attachment point, but my tactical rifles just stand in a gunsafe on their butt-plates. They are in HS Precision stocks, and warpage isn't an issue.

In some climates, a light (LIGHT!) oiling of the bore would be advisable, and the hanging would save the bedding, even aluminum-beding block types, from the contamination.

Opinions? Yeah, I'm making conversation. :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Errrr.... yeah, I just set mine upright in racks I built in my gun room. A light coating of oil is good as a preventive measure. Though if you coat the inside of the barrel, it can cause some bad cold bore shots.

MEL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine are just upright in the safe. However, whenever I come across one of those dessicant packs, I toss it in the safe. I must have 25 in there right now :lol: . It must be drier than Arianna Huffington's.... well, ya know 8)
I very lightly oil them after cleaning. Rust has never been an issue, I basically live in the desert.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I live in the desert too.

While I do swab a patch with a couple of teensy drops of oil on it in the bore before storage, I finish with a dry patch so that there is just the barest hint of oil to season the bore and protect it.

I bet 23-10 dictates muzzle-down to prevent bores with too much oil from leeching into the front stock bolt and bedding.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
in my gun room
Now thats a real man, he has his own room for his toys (I am doing the same thing right now, just another two months before it is done though :lol: )

I am in the wet muggy south and my dad even had a ruger SS pistol to rust (he don't shoot that much any more). Now granted it probably had not see the light of day in 6-8 months it still rusted!

However, whenever I come across one of those dessicant packs, I toss it in the safe. I must have 25 in there right now
+1 on that, those things are like the suprise in the bottom of craker-jacks! I always run to the safe with them as well. What is the life on those little suckers?

If I think that I will have the rifle back out very soon I will not oil the bore, if it is for long term then I will oil it. Just realy depends on your climate I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures?

You don't want to see my gunroom right now. I need to tidy up in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts